Sleeping Troubles

My five-year-old has always been a good sleeper. Getting her to bed is sometimes a challenge, but once there, she's usually down for the count.

Till the last week or so, that is. She's been waking up in the wee hours of the morning, wanting to crawl in bed with her dad and me. I'd be inclined to let her, but her dad is beyond one hundred percent against the idea, so it really isn't an option. I've just given her some crackers, turned on a soothing CD and her Dream Light, and put her back in bed. That worked till the last two nights, when she's started screaming, wanting the light on, wanting to get a pillow and blanket and sleep on our floor, saying her tummy is hurting, physically fighting not to get in bed.

There's been no big change in life for her lately. She's been eating about the same, nothing that I know of has scared her from TV, I can't figure it out. Has anybody else's kid gone through this? Any idea how I can restore nighttime peace?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 12:59 PM on Apr. 10, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You need to find out by talking to her what is making her do this, reassure her, if monsters are the problem, get a can of spray and label it monster repellant, and spray it around her room to protect her...but really remind your husband that she won't be 5 for ever, my girls use to do the same at the time it was a bother but how I wish I could turn back the hand of time and cuddle up to them once more.....

Answer by older at 1:13 PM on Apr. 10, 2013

• Our son woke up during the night once in awhile and we would find him with his pillow on the floor next to our bed. Maybe you could let her do that??
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 1:31 PM on Apr. 10, 2013

• 6 year MOLARS!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:15 PM on Apr. 10, 2013

• I agree with silverthreads. We did that with our daughter. She would start out in her bed and if something spooked her, she'd sleep on our floor. I used to have a little bed made up for her just in case. Shortly after, she stopped coming in. Sometimes, they just need to feel safe and protected. This helps them to be close and comforted, but they are comforting themselves. FYI, make sure hubby knows, otherwise he might accidentally step on her.
    ggsmom333

Answer by ggsmom333 at 5:40 PM on Apr. 10, 2013