Gestational diabetes?

I failed my 1 hour glucose test last thursday. So I have to go back tomorrow for a 3 hour test. Anyways I'm just scared because I really don't want to have gestational diabetes. Have any of y'all had it before? What could you eat? Am I putting my son at risk? I'm staying away from sweets wether I have it or not because I don't want to risk aanything. What shouls I stay away from?

mylovelylife

Asked by mylovelylife at 1:27 PM on Apr. 10, 2013 in Pregnancy

• I had it with 4 out of my 5 pregnancies. It really wasn't that big a deal. I ate pretty much everything I ate before (minus obvious sweets like cookies and brownies - but there are times I could even have a bite of that depending on my levels). It's just a healthy diet, all about moderation. I ate 3 meals and 3 snacks a day, all snacks need a protein and a carb (15 g) - things like string cheese with crackers, apple with peanut butter, yogurt, etc. Stay away from cakes, cookies, fruit juices and go light on the fruit particularly in the morning - better to eat fruit later in the day. With my 2nd and 3rd mine was all diet controlled, with my 4th and 5th I took an oral medication once/day in the morning to help regulate my levels.
    The dr will tell you everything you need to know and likely send you to a nutritionist, but there's no reason to stress. Very little risk to your baby as long as you take care of yourself.

Answer by missanc at 1:33 PM on Apr. 10, 2013

• This IMO is a new trend. Everyone I know has failed it including me, 3 hour included. Either they lowered the risk standard or it's a money grab. I failed (***boarderline***). They made me see an Endocronologist who made me prick my finger & check my blood daily. It was never over what it was supposed to be & was always perfect & I still ate the same as I did prior to the test. I eat well anyway. They made me see a Nutritionist who told me to eat Peanuts. It was ridiculous but what Mom isn't going to do her best for her baby right? Do NOT eat ANYTHING or even drink water (spit after you brush your teeth too!) before you do the 3 hour. Do it as early in the morning as possible. Don't eat anything after 6pm the night before. Eat something bland like eggs & wheat toast. NO PIZZA! It's LOADED with sugar! GL!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:35 PM on Apr. 10, 2013

• Thank you this made me feels better. I was searching online and it talks about how it can cause the baby ti be big in weight and be born with hypoglicemia since he is so used to sugar and thag scares the crao iut of me
    mylovelylife

Comment by mylovelylife (original poster) at 1:41 PM on Apr. 10, 2013

• BTW! Both babies were Perfect & not large at all. One weighed 6 lbs. 11 oz & the other 7lbs 11oz. The OBGYN also told me that my second child was going (estimated) to be very big & was trying to convince me to schedle a C-Section! So be prepared for that too! :)
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:43 PM on Apr. 10, 2013

• Don't start stressing just yet. I failed the 1-hour test, but passed the 3-hour one with flying colors with my daughter. She's now a VERY healthy, happy, energetic 6 year old.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:54 PM on Apr. 10, 2013

• Oh, and she was 7lb 11oz at birth.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:57 PM on Apr. 10, 2013

• yes I had it with both of mine & maintained it with my diet no insulin injections
    keep away from sugar, keep your blood sugars normal not high or low eat nuts, peanut butter, as snacks munch on them through out the day, fruit are high in sugar, get more protein in, a good balance and my dietician recommended I drink one Carnation instant drink right before bedtime to keep my sugar level good & not feel starved at like 3 or 4 in the morning....before I did the Carnation I would have to get up and have like a half cup of milk during the night other wise you can feel a lil' funny....you will have to test before & after meals and keep a logue & probably visit your Diabetes Clinic in the hospital you deliver weekly so they can keep an eye on you & your progress. It sucks but just stay on top of things & also try to go for a walk after your dinner even if it is just 10 minutes. GL.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 2:11 PM on Apr. 10, 2013

• I already had a c-section with my first :(
    mylovelylife

Comment by mylovelylife (original poster) at 2:15 PM on Apr. 10, 2013

• So no fruits at all because I just had some strawberries
    mylovelylife

Comment by mylovelylife (original poster) at 2:18 PM on Apr. 10, 2013

• It doesn't have to be too difficult to manage but PLEASE take this seriously. You cannot "cheat" the test. The risks are VERY real or they wouldn't bother testing, right? Read this

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/gestational-diabetes/DS00316/METHOD=print

Remember that you are now a responsible parent to be

Anonymous