Airlines and their screwy rules

So they are thinking on allowing knives passed security yet we aren't allowed to bring our own food pass it? Knives are less deadly then a sandwich??? We are flying out tomorrow about lunch time and I wanted to bring my kids a lunch instead of buy the expensive food at the airport but when I called to double check to see if it's okay they said we aren't allowed to. WTF?

LostSoul88

Asked by LostSoul88 at 2:15 PM on Apr. 10, 2013 in Travel

• You never know. Somebody might put a pinch of C-4 on that sandwich ... *Eye roll.*
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:31 PM on Apr. 10, 2013

• I normally bring something to eat like a sanwich or some snacks never had a problem but they didnt allow me to bring any liquids (juice, water, soda).
    Alisim

Answer by Alisim at 2:31 PM on Apr. 10, 2013

• Hmmmm. I thought food was fine but no liquids.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 2:33 PM on Apr. 10, 2013

• That's weird. I've brought food onto the plane (and through security). Not a sandwich, but things like packaged nuts and trail mix. I think as long as it's a sealed bag they are okay with it. I've even brought chocolate (large amounts) when we went to visit family last year - had a chocolate dipping party. They were fine with it, just required to scan it separate from the other carry on.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:18 PM on Apr. 10, 2013

• if its pre-packaged then its okay. so you could buy a lunchable or peanut butter crackers and get it thru security. i take a LOT of snacks on plane trips and havent had any problems.

but yeah the rationale of small knives are okay but no liquids more than 3 oz is really dumb.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:22 PM on Apr. 10, 2013

• You are right. Weird rules. Either feed the kids before or buy something at the airport. I would make some sandwiches and let the kids eat on the way to the airport.

Answer by louise2 at 3:25 PM on Apr. 10, 2013

• Not even prepackaged foods? weird.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 5:29 PM on Apr. 10, 2013

• Maybe the TSA agent was hungry and your food looked tasty.

The last time I flew we brought food with us; just no liquids. It was fine.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 5:57 PM on Apr. 10, 2013

• Must depend on the airports
    LostSoul88

Comment by LostSoul88 (original poster) at 2:58 PM on Apr. 10, 2013