Why on earth do we still need the second ammendment to stand as it is?

http://www.constitution.org/mil/tn/batathen.htm

I warn you it is lng but you can skim it.

I find the report made by the NYT.   I guess It did not follow the line of tinking they have been pushing for years.

Dardenella

Asked by Dardenella at 2:56 PM on Apr. 10, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 3:06 PM on Apr. 11, 2013

• Sorry way to long to read. Perhaps I'll come back later and read it if I have more time.

As far as why do we need it to stand as is I'd look at Germany, Russia, etc. No one ever expected them to be overtaken. If we had then we might have encouraged them to hold onto their guns instead of turning them into the government. You never know what the future holds. Today it's about guns but ask the people who were just attacked by a mad man with a knife. Should they now be outlawed? Think about North Korea. We really don't think they are a huge threat but could it be they are a sleeping giant just starting to wake up? Personally I'd like to be able to protect myself. We always think it will never happen to us but Pearl Harbor thought the same thing.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 3:28 PM on Apr. 10, 2013

• I didn't read through the whole write-up. But I agree with Bacon. History has shown that unarmed citizens become defenseless against threats, both from the outside world and from their own governments and leaders.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:33 PM on Apr. 10, 2013

• Too long to read... but I'd have to ask... why don't we need the second amendment to stand as it is? I still have not heard a valid reason why it should be changed.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 3:44 PM on Apr. 10, 2013

• This is all I have to say on the subject

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:59 AM on Apr. 11, 2013

• "I didn't read through the whole write-up. But I agree with Bacon. History has shown that unarmed citizens become defenseless against threats, both from the outside world and from their own governments and leaders...."Answer by Ballad
    I read the whole thing, it wasn't that long, it took less then 10 min to read it. Anyway, Ballad has it right, the govt manages to take our guns from the abiding citizens, we not only cannot defend ourselves from the bad guys, we will be at the mercy of our own state and local govt, but the federal govt as well. Corruption will sky rocket and things will get worse. The state govt cannot help and defend their citizens from the bad guys cause crime will shoot through the stratosphere.Remember what the LA riots were like and you saw what happened there, now think about spread out the whole nation, it will be complete anarchy.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 6:26 PM on Apr. 10, 2013

• My first thought is so that we can protect our rights to what freedoms we have left.

However, I believe the popular reason is "for the children", however I don't see how limiting a responsible law abiding citizen's rights does anything positive for children. I guess I'm just not that open minded when it comes to this subject.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:30 PM on Apr. 10, 2013

• Me either Crafty
    Dardenella

Comment by Dardenella (original poster) at 4:05 PM on Apr. 10, 2013

• There's also a flip side. Think of what is happening in some parts of Africa right now because arms can be freely and easily obtained ... All it takes is one charismatic person to gather a few followers and Hey Presto! You have a civil war ...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:20 AM on Apr. 11, 2013