Other Hispanic Mom's

My daughter is 8 and has a typical Hispanic girl's mustache. She has been getting teased at school because of it and came home it tears yesterday. Last night I gave in and took care of the problem for her. I am worried that by doing this I am encouraging her to be vain. would/have you allowed you young daughter to remove/lighten her facial hairs?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:52 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• No I don't think you are teaching her to be vain. You are teaching her hygine and how to be a girl and take care of herself and look her best and feel good about herself.
    My mom never did these things for me and honestly I needed the input, and there is no reason for her to be teased over an issue so easily solved.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 8:54 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I think it's perfectly ok, kids can be cruel. My little brother use to come home from school and ask me to pluck inbetween his eyebrows so he didn't have unibrow because the kids would make fun of him. I think a little something to give someone a little self confidence and to get the kids to back off is ok.
    smnice

Answer by smnice at 7:55 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• No, I think you should treat it as the same as getting a hair cut, it's just necessary sometimes.
    Anonymous

• I don't know if it is necessarily "right" but I would have done the same thing.

Anonymous

• I would have. My son is 13 and has a mustache that puts some men to shame, lol. He is always asking to shave it but I told him that once he does it will be a pain to keep it up. I guess its different with boys and girls. If my 8 yr old DD had one I would def take care of it if she wanted me to.
    jajumommy2000

Answer by jajumommy2000 at 8:10 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I trim my daughter's eyebrows with a little electric trimmer so I won't make any mistakes. Nobody wants a uni-brow. The hair doesn't grow back so fast anymore so I do it very rarely. The lip too. I used a hair removal cream for sensitive skin. It's not vain. Think of it as part the whole hygiene routine. Both things I do for myself now but I didn't do them at 12. Once I started with my girl, her level of confidence went up.

saltycoqui

Answer by saltycoqui at 8:38 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I would've done the same thing, it's just part of grooming.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 9:56 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I think you did what you thought was best. She'll be waxing that lip for a very long time, I wouldn't stress over it. I had super hairy legs as a kid and I started shaving my legs at 8 and cut the crap out of myself. My Mom was upset, but then she taught me to shave properly. At least she didn't mess up her face trying to handle it herself. HUGS
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 11:39 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Nobody wants their child teased, think of it as her feeling good about herself, and if we do it shaving, trimming, etc, then hey why not her? Its going to help her feel good about herself
    camtri3

Answer by camtri3 at 2:26 PM on Feb. 17, 2009