Our last name is Martinez and I don't want to write The Martinez Family on our Holiday Cards. I also do not want write our first names. I want it to say The Martinez's. Would it be The Martinez's or The Martinez'

Lyveth

Asked by Lyveth at 5:15 PM on Apr. 10, 2013 in General Parenting

• I don't know, but either way it would look and sound weird. Why not "The Martinez Family"?
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 5:16 PM on Apr. 10, 2013

• Z'

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:23 PM on Apr. 10, 2013

• Proper etiquette is The Martinez Family on the return address & your names on the card. Your Name first then your Husbands then children's names. Your way is Martinez's.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 5:23 PM on Apr. 10, 2013

• apostrophe s, Martinez's

Also, Holiday Cards?
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 5:24 PM on Apr. 10, 2013

• Depends on who you ask. Some people say Martinez' is right, and some people say Martinez's is right.

I also think that "The Martinez Family" sounds much better.
    Hollyhock.

Answer by Hollyhock. at 5:26 PM on Apr. 10, 2013

• Our last name ends in a Z too. I just always do The __________ Family. I think both the z's and z' looks ugly. I hate it but that's how it goes.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 5:29 PM on Apr. 10, 2013

• It would be Martinezes. No apostrophe. I think Martnez Family might be better. Or Don andAnne Martinez.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:42 PM on Apr. 10, 2013

• When a family name (a proper noun) is pluralized, we almost always simply add an "s." So we go to visit the Smiths, the Kennedys, the Grays, etc. When a family name ends in s, x, ch, sh, or z, however, we form the plural by added -es, as in the Marches, the Joneses, the Maddoxes, the Bushes, the Rodriguezes. Do not form a family name plural by using an apostrophe; that device is reserved for creating possessive forms.

I copied that from a grammer book online that I refer to for weird grammer/puncutation issues... :) 

Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 6:21 PM on Apr. 10, 2013

• Using es is correct. An apostrophe is used to show posession of something.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 7:45 PM on Apr. 10, 2013

• MARTINEZES. No apostrophes.

If your name was Smith, you'd be the Smiths. If it was Jones, you'd be the Joneses.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:16 PM on Apr. 10, 2013