how can i tell my 3 yo has a speech development issue?

My 1 1/2 yo talks better than my 3 yo... how can i tell if shes actually developed enough to go to preschool yet?

marshsgurls07

Asked by marshsgurls07 at 8:05 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• all public school, months before preschool starts has free preschool screening which tests specificly for learning disabilites. Most states offer free services for children under 3 and then once 3 the public school is responsible for the services.( my son has a speech delay). call your local public school. I know my local school just had screenings in Jan. and have them again in March and I think June.
    Kerinmomof2

Answer by Kerinmomof2 at 8:13 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• kids all learn at their own rates! My 3 year old doesn't talk that well, but I am thankful that she talks at all! I can finally understand her wants/needs. Their is a program that is birth to 3/ 0-3... my daughter isn't in that anymore though, she is in a special class its called an ECDD classroom. It prepares them to start pre-school. Also helps out with her speech, and other areas... hope this was helpful...
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 8:13 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Thanks ladies... i really appreciate it... my only concern is, is that her dad has custody of her right now, i don't think she gets the interaction she needs to get the developmental skills she needs. I'm workin on trying to get her in to see a dr. about it and see if its her or her fathers lack of helping her learn.
    marshsgurls07

Answer by marshsgurls07 at 8:18 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• My dd has a speech delay and she is 3. She has been in therapy since she was about 18 months old.

I can tell you right now that some kids just have problems in this area no matter HOW much help they have learning. Ask the pediatrician, there are FREE state services in most areas. My dd goes to a FREE preschool 3 days a week where she receives speech therapy. It has helped her a lot!

ONe of the best things you can do for a child with speech issues is put them in preschool. They hear the teachers and other children and it helps them grow.

Good Luck, message me if you have any questions! ;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:24 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I was going to suggest you call the CPSE in your school district but then read that the father has custody. He's going to have to do it.

My 3 year old has a moderate speech delay due to articulation difficulties. He's receiving speech therapy twice a week.

My 2 year old has a severe delay and also receives speech twice a week.

Your ex needs to have her evaluated to see if she might qualify for some services. Anyone around her should be able to understand roughly 80% of what she says.

Just so you're aware, speech development does not always have anything to do with cognitive skills. My sons have speech problems, but they test cognitively ahead of their peers.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:19 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• she may have poorly developed plaite(?)( the roof of the mouth) that can be fixed. is she garbled or just dont have much to say yet? when you ask her a ? give her a beat or two to collect her thoughts before you answer for her. this will encourage discourse.
    tabytha

Answer by tabytha at 6:01 AM on Feb. 17, 2009