• In the Spotlight:

so selfish

i'm so ashamed to say that my 9 year old is so selfish after talking to him he has told me that he wants to leave his 10 month old sister let her live w her dad and we never see her again so that he can live closer to his dad???????? I dont understand i didnt raise him to be this selfish. I kinda went along with it to really see how serious he was about it and yea no matter how hard i tried i couldnt convince him that living there and seeing his dad(who dont give a crap about him) was not the right thing he still chooses to live there and see his dad on occasion and NEVER (is what i said) seeing his sister. or staying here and visiting his dad like he does now which is every summer spring break and christmas break??????????/ so how would you deal with this????????????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:06 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Relationships

• Kids are just selfish because they are little people. Hes just 9 and this is a very common thought by a 9 yr old. Hes missing his father and its likely hes putting the blame on his sister. Kids didn't ask to be a part of our dysfunctional messes but they end up paying the price long after we have moved on. As he gets older, he will begin to understand. Keep him in contact with his dad regularly. Good luck.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:34 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Sounds like he is #1 missing his daddy and #2 feeling a little jealous of his sister.

Why don't you take him out somewhere, just you and him? Maybe to a movie, or if the weather ever gets nice again take him to the park or zoo if you have one, just some one-on-one time and give him lots of lovin.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 8:12 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• He is 9 and doesn't understand the situation entirely. It seems to me that he deducted the only way he could be close to his dad is through his sister. I don't think he really understands the implications of that. The poor guy is just confused and trying to figure out how to make things better. Nine year old logic isn't exactly fine tuned.
    cat1622

Answer by cat1622 at 11:16 PM on Feb. 16, 2009