This thing is contradicting itself! Anyone know about exothermic and endothermic chemical reactions?

It asks: Which of the following are an example of an exothermic chemical reaction? Check all that apply.
A.Photosynthesis (which I didn't check because it's an endothermic)
B. Burning a piece of wood (I wasn't sure on that one)
C. Freezing water in to Ice (Which is exothermix because it releases heat)
So I picked C. and then checked the answers after and I missed it. It said the correct answers were B and C. Meaning B and C are both exothermic. Then I looked at the little foot note it gives that "explains" and it clearly says: Burning a piece of wood is an ENDOTHERMIC reaction because heat is lost to the surroundings. So, someone explain how burning wood is endothermic or exothermic please.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:14 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Endothermic is where energy is absorbed.
    Exothermic is where energy is released BTW.
    Anonymous

• No one?
    Anonymous

• I don't know, but I'll guess:)

I think it has something to do with the oxygen in the water and wood
    Anonymous

• Yea, I thought it would have to absorb oxygen to burn which would make it endothermic.
    But it releases heat which would make it exothermic, so I'm confused, and the test says two different things.
    And you can't have an exothermic and endothermic chemical reaction at the same time so it can't be both..
    Anonymous

• Maybe it releases oxygen that contains heat? Once again this is just a guess:)
    Anonymous

• Or wait not oxygen, but gases:)
    Anonymous

• I guess Ill be the only NON anon one and say I don't have a freakin clue! Too long since I did that...people you don't have to be ashamed if you don't know the answer. Why is everyone hiding?
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 9:03 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I always hide:)
    Anonymous

• Releases gases that contain heat...That sounds right to me.
    Burning wood is exothermic because it releases gases that contain heat instead of absorbing them. I think. lol
    Anonymous