I'm getting emotional.

I'm 21 years old, and I am not even in college. I have an average paying job, but I have a son, and lots of bills to pay. So money can be an issue sometimes. As I think about it... I'm just wondering what am
I going to do with my life? I can't struggle forever. Especially not with my son. I want to go back to school , but im seriously not the smartest person. My GPA was a 2.9 and I struggled a lot in school.
I had a hard time doing simple math, history, etc!!
I had my texts modified actually. :((

I would love to go back to school...
I would like to be a medical billet and coder... But where can I start? Do they pay good? And maybe after a few years, go back to school for something above that!! I'm sad that I'm starting so late, and by the time I graduate ill be 25/26. Better late than never I guess!

Can someone give me some ideas to go to school for? Nothing hard. Example: nursing school.
I would love to do that!! But I am not smart at all!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:19 PM on Apr. 10, 2013 in General Parenting

• Are you located by a community college of any type? Id start there. Go talk to them in the counseling office, and take some placement tests to see where you are in your skills, and where your strengths lie. They do this all the time for students/potential students. Good Luck...
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 6:24 PM on Apr. 10, 2013

• Well, take a deep breath. You aren't exactly old yet. Lots of people go back to school in their twenties, thirties, fories, and beyond. Maybe think about looking at a community college before trying to get into a larger university.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:25 PM on Apr. 10, 2013

• You need to stop selling yourself short. Go to community college and get your cna or lpn, then you can work towards your rn. Not saying it will be easy, but I found school much easier the second time around! I knew how important it was so I studied more and harder, so I did better. You can do it!

Answer by missanc at 6:26 PM on Apr. 10, 2013

• You my dear a very young, and it is never too late for any education, you have a whole life ahead of you and now you have a son that will inspire you to do what right now you think you are not capable of, the motivation you have is more than a lot of your peers lack, go for your dreams and do not settle for anything else, you can do this! if not for you, for your son!

Answer by older at 6:31 PM on Apr. 10, 2013

• Focus on continuing school b/c that will solve your money problems. There is a saying that rich folks work to fulfill their dreams and regular folks just work to pay their bills. It's a different kind of mentality. You have to think beyond the bills. I've helped numerous people return to school & with some tweaking you can do it! 1st, downsize into renting a room from a house/apt. if you can. It's way cheaper. Keep your job or find a closer one where you can use public transportation to avoid paying gas, reducing expenses. Enroll in an online school to make it easier to attend classes. I can recommend a few. You should qualify for max student loans & some grants. Once done w/school, it gets a WHOLE lot easier to get a better job. Your writing looks fine, so you're already ahead of the pack. I know some ppl in school that can't even write well & manage to get a good GPA still. If they can do it, so can you!
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 7:34 PM on Apr. 10, 2013

• There are people older than you just starting college and some that have already graduated as older adults. It's never too late! If you are looking for a degree w/the least time commitment and the highest pay for that amount of education, I would suggest nursing. It only takes 2 years and a certification as a CNA or LPN. Just think! If you get started now, in 2 yrs., you'd be done! Most nurses starting out make around 40-50K depending on the area and on average w/some experience under your belt, you can make about 60K/year. Not bad for 2 years of college. The great news is that nursing programs are widely available as an online degree. I have all the faith that YOU CAN DO IT GIRL!

graduate

hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 7:45 PM on Apr. 10, 2013

• I know someone who doesn't know the difference between a bagel and a bengal cat...SERIOUSLY, and she is working as a nurse. If you know at least that much, then yes, you are smart enough to get into nursing! It is just a 2-year degree, so it isn't that hard. Just stay focused.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 7:49 PM on Apr. 10, 2013

• Not everyone knows what they want to be when they "grow up" when they are 18! I didn't figure it out til I was in my 30's!
    You can do anything you want to do. As soon as you figure that out you'll be successful!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 11:28 PM on Apr. 10, 2013

• 2 years of nursing... But that doesn't include basics, correct?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:30 AM on Apr. 12, 2013