Interesting article..."When it comes to reducing gun violence in America, nobody else in the country has anything close to the experience-based perspective from which cops can speak..."

This an interesting article and I encourage you all to read it, and the comments below it. They (well most should be) actual police officers and what their opinions are on the gun control issue.

http://www.policeone.com/Gun-Legislation-Law-Enforcement/articles/6186552-PoliceOne-Gun-Control-Survey-Are-legally-armed-citizens-the-best-solution-to-gun-violence/?fb_ref=homepage

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 7:33 PM on Apr. 10, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• VERY interesting.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 7:44 PM on Apr. 10, 2013

• " The survey is a joke. Most of the "cops" who participated self-identified as working at small agencies in areas with little gun crime. Also why did I have to watch an advertisement on the Mormon church to watch a law enforcement video on here? I get the feeling as I participate in this website that P1 is an ultraconservative site that caters to ultraconservative members. Again, why are dissenting posts deleted? It wouldn't surprise me if the ultraconservative memebers of this forum can't handle dissenting views.
    Posted by scohan on Wednesday, April 10, 2013 10:06 AM Pacific Report Abuse
    lol@this website. My comment was deleted from this thread. And you guys complain about Obama. What a joke."

This comment makes me iffy about wanting to read the whole article lol.
    Hollyhock.

Answer by Hollyhock. at 7:47 PM on Apr. 10, 2013

• " My comment was deleted from this thread. And you guys complain about Obama. What a joke."
    Hes a smart ass, he was making threats and had vulgar language.

"This comment makes me iffy about wanting to read the whole article lol."
    And you just stopped with one comment?? Did you even bother to read the rest of the comments? Or even the article? You are gonna rest with just one comment from a member and get you whole opinion from that guy? *smh*
    And FYI....There wasn't a Mormon Church ad on that page, there never is any ad's with religious overtones. If that guy saw a that ad, why didn't you see one? I did not when I logged on, nobody else either.
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 8:26 PM on Apr. 10, 2013

• No I read this one too

"According to NLEOMF http://www.nleomf.org/facts/enforcement/
    There are 900,000 sworn police officers in the US. This survey claims to have gotten feedback from 15,000. That’s about 1.7 percent – and that’s ASSuming those who took the survey were in fact sworn police officers (there was NO verification process – a communist/socialist monkey could have taken the test if he had so been inclined) AND those who took the survey only took it once."

I read the other comments as well. Eh.. I guess it was an interesting read, but I've already heard all of these opinions from Fox News and the NRA.
    Hollyhock.

Answer by Hollyhock. at 8:40 PM on Apr. 10, 2013

• I agree with parts of many of the comments. Not whole comments (mostly I am thinking this is a life experience thing and I do not have the same experience as the people commenting). It's interesting to read some of the comments though.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:10 PM on Apr. 10, 2013

• i have family in law enforcement...they dont like the idea of arming every moron citizen who thinks they can save the world with their gun. just cause some cops are pro-arming every Tom Dick and Harry doesnt mean all of them are. my SIL's (an ex-state trooper) favorite phrase lately is "more bullets equal more dead" and shes no liberal anti-gun nut. until reading the comments i thought most cops found the armed vigilante man on the street to be a pain in the ass, not a crime deterrent.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:33 PM on Apr. 10, 2013

• Interesting perspective. I'd like to see it broken down by police officers in urban versus rural areas, and in different parts of the country. You get some places like Texas, where a friend of mine said some people want it mandatory that every household is to own a shotgun, and then other places that are not inclined that way.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:05 PM on Apr. 10, 2013

• ".they dont like the idea of arming every moron citizen who thinks they can save the world with their gun. "okmanders
    I do not want to arm every moron out there either. But a few of those officers had a point and that was it will take those precious few minutes to respond to a call, and if you are out in the sticks, it will take longer. Our local cops respond time is at the very least 8 min on a good day and everyone is on their best behavior. On a weekend night, response was taking 15 min or more. Last year there was a rape in progress, a girl dialed 911 on her phone a hid it under her couch and dispatch was listening to her and the guy raping her. It took 18 min for police to get there cause they were so backed up, and had very few squad cars available. They did catch the guy thank god, but it shined a very unfavorable light on the dept. And stuff like that happens everywhere.
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 11:17 PM on Apr. 10, 2013

• i get what your saying and maybe its just different areas have different needs. i live in an area that has bored cops so they respond pretty quick. also its a smaller city/suburb so they have less ground to cover to get places. if someone wanted to help, theyd do more to just stay outta the way, not adding to the chaos. imo gun rights really needs to be a state or even county/city thing...not a sweeping federal thing. so many areas are so different that what works in NYC isnt going to work in small town Wyoming or vice versa. and nothing is going to reduce gun violence if we dont start getting the murdering rampagers medical help.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:51 AM on Apr. 11, 2013

•  This has now become my standard answer on this subject.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:19 AM on Apr. 11, 2013