Anyone know anything about the Panama City Beach area?

I am looking at condos and houses for an August family vacation . Is the long beach, laguna beach, fort walton, bid-a-wee, gulf lagoon,etc. area best? I wasn't aware that they were separated like that. If you would recommend one area what would it be and why? TIA

sunnygrl2

Asked by sunnygrl2 at 8:16 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Just for Fun

• We go all the time and usually go to Fort Walton, which I dont believe is Panama City Beach. But they all look the same and are just a few minutes from each other. Any are fine. Try to take the your kids to the aquarium that is there. It is really neat and they have lots of different animals to see and touch. You WILL see it on the "strip" hard to miss! Especially with kids in the back seat saying, LOOK at THAT!!!
    Anonymous

• I lived in Panama City Beach for 4 years and the beaches are gorgeous! We moved back from there in 1993. From what I can remember, Thomas Drive had some really nice rental homes right on the beach. There's also the Mariott Resort. There are lots of family-type things to do there, as well as night life if you are able to make it out. I am almost certain the place has built up quite a bit since we left b/c it's become a popular spring break place since. We did visit Ft. Walton a time or two as well and it was really nice, too.
    TeensMom07

Answer by TeensMom07 at 9:06 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I live in pensacola florida.... uhh dont come. You will waste ure money! Im so sick of living here.. ya are beaches are pretty but.... id rather go else where.
    faithful78

Answer by faithful78 at 9:38 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• All there is to do is sit on the beach. the aquarium is expensive and a wanna be sea world. There is a zoo that there are barely any animals... needs to be shut down. I went on a field trip W/ my daugh's school. We spent most of our time lookn for animals in their empty cages was sad! Im not trying to ruin ure vac but its not fun here!
    faithful78

Answer by faithful78 at 9:40 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I have been going there every year since I was about 8 or 9 and now I take my own family. Its a lot of fun. Long Beach is nice and the Bidawee are private houses. It just depends on what you want. I stay in the Calypso every year and its awesome. Theres a new one right next door called Aqua and its a spa like place. I am thinking of trying that one next year. I have stayed in WaterCrest, Moondrifter, the Summit, The Dunes, Edgewater, Holiday Inn, Beachcomber, Calypso. There is the water park and a lot of mini golf places. Gulf World is there, but its small. There is a Ripleys museum and tons of restaurants. I don't go for sight seeing though. I go to play with the kids on the beach and at night, we might go see a movie. The coolest new thing right now is Pier Park and its a boardwalk of sorts that has a mall in it as well all local shops. The nightlife there is fun. PM me if you want anymore info.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:18 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• One more thing....because Pier Park is the newest attraction, you could get a condo right near it so that you can walk over there. The Calypso is right across the street as well as the Aqua and then there are a few smaller ones. The rest you will have to drive and sometimes parking can be a bear if its crowded. Panamacitybeachvacations.com is where I go to look. I usually book with a local owner though. I found her on vrob.com and she has 2 condos. This site is where local owners advertise their condos to rent. You get MUCH better deals. Good luck.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:21 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I grew up in Ft. Walton Beach. I also lived in Pensacola, and Defuniak. Panama City Beach is about 1.5 hours from Ft. Walton and I wouldn't vacation there. While it's pretty it's getting close to spring break and it wont be fun for family. Destin Fl is really pretty and it's a lot of fun. There is the Commons, you can drive down to Seaside and look at the beautiful beaches, and scenery. I really miss it there.

I like the Gulfarium on Okaloosa Island, but it is a tad pricey. The Boardwalk is fun to walk around on, and I wouldn't take a trip to Gulf Breeze Zoo but I doubt you will be going that far west anyways.

Over all the area is really nice, the beaches are beautiful, and it can be a very relaxing vacation.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:35 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• We use to go to Panama City every summer at least once. But I am spoiled now and we go to Destin, which is about a 45 minute drive to Panama City. Destin is a lot cleaner and more of a family area. A lot of teenager go to Panama City for vacations, especially spring break. There are more water parks, fast food restaurants, an amusement park and Traffic but I just prefer Destin and then drive over to Panama City for the day. Have fun!!!! Just check with the Chamber of Commerce before you check your date!
    pamalou

Answer by pamalou at 7:36 AM on Feb. 18, 2009