Is Autism becoming more prevalent...

or is it that more is known about it now and so there are more children being diagnosed?

AnonNdrag

Asked by AnonNdrag at 10:43 PM on Apr. 10, 2013 in General Parenting

• I think that because it is a spectrum, more people fall within it than previously realized. However, I don't agree with labeling everyone who falls on the spectrum as having a "disorder" because I think a label like that hinders more than it helps.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:19 AM on Apr. 11, 2013

• I would guess that more is known about autism, and children are being diagnosed with it now when they would have been lbeled as just difficult or slow or troublemakers in the past. But I've also wondered if the chemicls in processed foods might have something to do with it.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:41 PM on Apr. 10, 2013

• I think it's both. More cases of ASD and better diagnosis.

Answer by missanc at 7:11 AM on Apr. 11, 2013

• It is 1in 88 now. I think a lot of it is due to knowing what to look for so more people are falling somewhere on the spectrum. I agree with missanc more cases and better diagnosis. Also agree that because it is a spectrum disorder more people are going to fall somewhere within the boundaries.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:10 AM on Apr. 11, 2013

• IMO
    It is having more people in the spectrum not being secluded from the eyes of society.
    There has been more research and so more people are diagnosed that might not have been before.
    Also with it being more in the public people are a little more willing to allow there children to be tested and labeled
    There has been some suggestion that the farther that we move from the natural world the greater our chances to have divergence from what is commonly called normal. (I for one have never met anyone normal) So it is possible that percentage wise the could be a slight increase.
    My bet is that more people are just out and about where you ca see them and there is more new coverage and at least surface awareness.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:40 PM on Apr. 10, 2013

• I think it has to do with all the crap in food these days, processed food that people consider healthy. Add to that pollution, over use of drugs, chemicals in our lives-from soap to air freshener to air conditioning....
    Anonymous