Public Library

One of the three elementary schools in our district is closing after this school year so they are sending the kids from the closed school to the other two schools. Because of needed space at one of the schools, they are tearing apart the library to turn into two classrooms. They do not need additional classrooms at other school (DD's), but they are cleaning out our library anyway and it will be left as an empty room (at least that is what we are being told).

At school board meeting last night a few people got up and read letters to the board in hopes to save our library, among them being a few students (including DD) and the librarian. Her letter was very powerful, but one thing she said I am really dumbfounded by.

She said that a large percentage of elementary school students never go to their public library, so the library at school is all many have.

That is so had for me to understand. DD has had a library card since she was 2 years old. She absolutely LOVES our local public library and we go anywhere from a couple times a week to a couple times a month, depending on how busy we are, summer-time vs school-time, programs they have going on, how quickly she reads the books or watches the movies, etc.

Do you take your kids to the public library?

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 11:16 PM on Apr. 10, 2013 in General Parenting

• I do, but I'm also not at all surprised by what you heard. We have two libraries in our town but for a long time we only had one, and the hours were limited. Things have gotten better, but I know some cities that are too poor to keep their branches open.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:21 PM on Apr. 10, 2013

• I don't, but if I could see to read the books I definitely would.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:26 PM on Apr. 10, 2013

• I have no children at home now but we do go to the library and often and always have.
    It is very very true that parents do not take their children to the library very often if at all. Even when my kids were still school age the librarians were so happy to see them because they came in so often. They often had chats about books with the librarians and they reccommended books to read. It was sad then but with intenet and readers it is probably even less likely that kids would go to the library.The kids who need it the most are those with the least resources electronic and transprotation to the library.
    To me school libraries are important but so is having enough of a single book for all 30 children to read the same book.
    Can you tell I have issues with the emphasis (not) on reading skills?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:32 PM on Apr. 10, 2013

• That makes no sense if the room is just going to be empty. If they need a room, they can always set up a classroom trailer. All of my schools and even colleges have done this using trailer classrooms longterm.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 11:32 PM on Apr. 10, 2013

• Clearing out the school libraries is ridiculous, & so is the fact that a lot of people never set foot in a public library of their own free will. I am a reader, I adore libraries & bookstores, & my DD & I are at one of each at least once a month, typically more.
    KA91

Answer by KA91 at 11:38 PM on Apr. 10, 2013

• Dd and I went to the public library for the first time together lol. I never went growing up.
    Hollyhock.

Answer by Hollyhock. at 11:45 PM on Apr. 10, 2013

• We do now but haven't always. Part of it was logistical. I definitely prioritized library time, but it didn't always work for us to get there. Our rural town includes a small village center that includes a library, but it is open just for very limited odd hours. We live the next state over from where my husband works (at a college 10 minutes away) and there are 2 public libraries there with children's rooms. The one that's further away from us (~25 minutes) has story times (they had infant/baby & parent "rhyme time for tots" with lots of lap bounces, finger play & singing, and also a preschool story hour.) The timing of my daughter's naps plus the commute meant we missed a lot of the baby rhyme times. We attended the story hours regularly until she started morning preschool at age 3.
    Then I had twins & was much more limited about getting out with them.
    Since they turned 3 we've gone weekly to the closer library by the college.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 2:19 AM on Apr. 11, 2013

• We go all the time. There are lots of libraries here. Toddler story times (6-7 times/week, separate from baby time and 3 yo's) is so popular they have to hand out tickets to limit the number of people. I can't imagine not going to the library

Answer by missanc at 5:51 AM on Apr. 11, 2013

• Our local libraries are great! My dau loves to go. They often have activities planned for kids, esp. in the summer months. (incl. the summer reading program)

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:45 AM on Apr. 11, 2013

• We go quite a bit to the library but I believe it when a lot of other kids don't go to the public library because of parents not driving or working constantly it's really sad.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 7:49 AM on Apr. 11, 2013