Hazard on patient door...having to wear gloves and gown while seeing someone in hospital?

I went to see my grandmother who broke her hip in the hospital and took my 3 year old son. 2 days layer my mother tells me they put a hazard sign on the door and require visitors to wear a gown and gloves! My son hugged her and got on her bed where blood was :/ I put antibacterial Sanitizer on his hands when we left but what could be the reason for this?

She told my mom its BC she has a kidney infection? That doesn't seem.legit. please help me!! I'm so worried for my son. :( hopefully its nothing but it worries me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on Apr. 11, 2013 in Health

• It could be just a staph infection, which is contagious.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:18 AM on Apr. 11, 2013

• It could be any number of things... I'm a nurse, & we put those signs up for lots of reasons. Kidney infection, IDK, but I wouldn't worry. If it was something scary contagious they wouldn't have allowed a child to visit. Deep breath, & hugs.
    KA91

Answer by KA91 at 12:20 AM on Apr. 11, 2013

• Just as long as he had cleaned his hands, and he had no open wounds anywhere he should be fine. I f you are concerned ask the nurse or doctor when you see her next, and ask why those signs and such are up.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:39 AM on Apr. 11, 2013

• What all could it be?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:42 AM on Apr. 11, 2013

• It could also be that your grandmother is frail, and the nurses and doctors don't want an outside infection transmitted to her. That was the case for an elderly family friend once when I visited him in the hospital.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:47 AM on Apr. 11, 2013

And it could be anything! If you begin to wonder what hospital acquired infection it could be, you will give yourself nightmares. If its bothering that much, call right now. That will rest any fears you have before you go to bed.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:53 AM on Apr. 11, 2013

• I agree with Ballad. When my daughters were in NICU, everyone who entered the ward had to wear a gown to avoid contaminating the frail babies who were in there. For some of the rooms, bootees and masks were required too.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 4:44 AM on Apr. 11, 2013

• Ballad is correct. The safety gear was to protect HER,not you.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:13 AM on Apr. 11, 2013

• It could be that she has an infection, but if the signs didn't go up until 2 days after your visit, your son should be fine. It is more likely that they are trying to protect her health. When I worked (very briefly) in a hospital, most of the time, those requirements were to protect the health of the patient. In those rare instances where the patient did have an infection that required the use of those items, the sign would usually include a note stating that you needed to see the nurse before entering the room - they would then inform you that the patient has an infection and you must wear these items and wash your hands, and so on.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:55 AM on Apr. 11, 2013

• The hazard door is not likely because your grandmother is contagious to you but you are putting HER at risk by the crap you're carrying in on your clothes. From dust to detergent that could cause an allergic reaction or interfere with her medications etc. Especially if she has had surgery of any kind and still has stitches that are being dressed.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:14 AM on Apr. 11, 2013