Interesting article about babies and brain development ...

I received a link to this Yahoo News article from my blind-parents list. It involves a study of blind moms with sighted babies and how a lack of maternal eye contact did not have the expected negative effect on the development of the infants. But I thought I'd post it here because it's amazing to me how flexible and adaptable babies are, and how enormous their developmental potential is.

http://news.yahoo.com/babies-blind-moms-excel-vision-tests-232057017.html

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 12:30 AM on Apr. 11, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It sounds like the REASONS for not receiving responsive eye contact in the context of an infant-caregiver relationship are the deciding factor in whether or not that experience itself is negative. That makes a lot of sense. Reciprocal eye contact is important for development BECAUSE it correlates with engagement & responsiveness. But if a parent's lack of eye contact is not related to preoccupation or disengagement, then the emotional reality of the situation is communicated to the baby & that baby thrives without eye contact. Eye contact is the typical medium or means, not a "necessary condition," of the healthy development of attachment.

It's like the correlation of "family dinners" with having smarter, happier kids who are statistically less likely to use drugs, smoke or abuse alcohol, and less at risk for teen pregnancy. Connection with parents is the true protective factor; connected families are likely to share meals.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 9:00 AM on Apr. 12, 2013

• That's Interesting
    Shaketa123

Answer by Shaketa123 at 12:50 AM on Apr. 11, 2013

• Cool
    Lanike

Answer by Lanike at 3:19 AM on Apr. 11, 2013

• older

Answer by older at 9:21 AM on Apr. 11, 2013

• Very interestig article. Thank you
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:50 AM on Apr. 11, 2013