WTF is wrong with this world anyway?

Circus elephant wounded in Mississippi drive-by shooting - Hartford Pets | Examiner.com

Carol, a 39-year old Asian elephant with Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey was the victim of a drive-by shooting yesterday morning in Tupelo, MS, just as the circus crew finished setting up what’s called the circus compound at BancorpSouth Arena where employees live and where animals are housed. Carol was inside a covered tent with two other Asian elephants when she sustained at least one bullet wound between her ear at the base of her neck area.

The 8,000 lb pachyderm has been with the circus all her life, and is expected to be okay, and should be able to go back to work in about 6-8 weeks according to a circus vet.
Tupelo Police Captain Rusty Haynes reported that a white or silver Ford Explorer (which he called a “vehicle of interest”) was seen on a street behind the arena around the time of the shooting.

“It’s, you know, it was a drive-by shooting.”says it’s unknown what type of weapon caused the wound, “The elephant has sustained at least one bullet wound between her ear and I guess you would have to consider it the base of her neck area,” he stated.
Rob Lang, General Manager for Ringling’s “Gold Edition,” “Never in the one hundred forty-three years of Ringling Brothers Circus has anything like this ever happened. So, a lot of disbelief, a lot of disappointment.”

In the meantime, Arena Executive Director Todd Hunt says the shooting is a black eye for Tupelo, “It doesn’t represent the population as a whole, I’m convinced. And it certainly doesn’t represent our facility and our community.”

A reward of more than $16,000 in reward money is being offered to find the person who shot Carol. “Since she’s an endangered species, if the person is ever caught, they’ll likely be going to jail for a long time,” stated local officials..

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 12:41 AM on Apr. 11, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• I would be interested to know the reason for something like this. Was the elephant the target, or was it a stray bullet that hit the animal? If it was the target, then why?

Glad to hear that the elephant will recover.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:00 AM on Apr. 11, 2013

• I'm so glad the elephant will be OK. I think people who do such cruel acts to animals deserve their own special place in Hell!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:27 AM on Apr. 11, 2013

• Wow this world is really going crazy. Glad the elephant is going to be ok.
    Alisim

Answer by Alisim at 7:40 AM on Apr. 11, 2013

• WDF...my family is in Mississippi they told me about this but I didn't believe them so people are shooting elephants now that's just messed up and wrong
    Shaketa123

Answer by Shaketa123 at 12:49 AM on Apr. 11, 2013

• I fucking give up! If a freaking elephant can't make it in this world how in the hell are we supposed to?
    uwmilf

Answer by uwmilf at 12:50 AM on Apr. 11, 2013

• " “Since she’s an endangered species, if the person is ever caught, they’ll likely be going to jail for a long time,” stated local officials.."OP
    Common decency is seems to be an endangered species as well. But I love the fact that that there is a reward for their capture, and they will spend a long time time in prison if they get caught. Just too bad that kinda outlook can't be applied to humans to get caught in the crossfire of a drive by.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:20 AM on Apr. 11, 2013

• thats crazy. poor elephant
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 12:22 AM on Apr. 12, 2013