my agile and active 5months old baby girl threw herself off my hands yesterday morning and landed with the back of her head. I cried with her. I'm soo scared. hope she'll be fine :(

My name is Lanike & I'm Nigerian. I am 6feet 2inches tall. I just need the candid opinions of good mothers out there. I already feel like a bad mum. Cause this is about the 3rd time she's falling down.

Lanike

Asked by Lanike at 2:58 AM on Apr. 11, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you taken her to the hospital yet?? A head injury like that, especially with being 6'2 can be VERY harmful to her. And I am sorry, but this is the 3rd time she has "fallen" and shes only 5 months old?? Something is not right here.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 3:07 AM on Apr. 11, 2013

• I took her to the ER immediately after. She was examined and d ped said she seemed fine as she was playing, laughin and eating for the 3hrs she was being observed for any funny behaviour. But last night, she got all so cranky till this morning. So I'm taking her back to see the ped by noon 2day
    Lanike

Comment by Lanike (original poster) at 3:16 AM on Apr. 11, 2013

• Babies are squirmy little critters. Maybe you ought to consider getting an infant carrier so your daughter will be less likely to wiggle out of your grasp. I hope she's okay.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:19 AM on Apr. 11, 2013

• I am glad she is doing great! I also agree with Ballad, getting baby carrier is an excellent idea! Plus it also helps with the bonding process, and helps them to feel more secure. I used mine all the time. When I went grocery shopping, she got her best nap when I was doing that. My daughter loved hers.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 3:23 AM on Apr. 11, 2013

• Thanks so much Michigan-Mom74 and Ballad. I will get the carrier on our way back from the hospital. I just hope these falls do not have any long term effect on my sweet lil baby in the future. Thanks again
    Lanike

Comment by Lanike (original poster) at 3:39 AM on Apr. 11, 2013

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moro_reflex

Moro reflex

Be aware the babies exhibit this reflex until 6 months of age. It's involuntary and unexpected, so YOU have to always know that it can happen. It usually happens when you are only holding her with one arm and doing something else with the other. Try wearing the baby in a sling or wrap or putting the baby down where you can see her and talk to her while you are busy. You have been lucky so far. A fall is a fall and she can get hurt. Be very careful. Good luck!

doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 7:41 AM on Apr. 11, 2013

• Sorry for above answer being so large print. Not sure why that happened. :)
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 7:42 AM on Apr. 11, 2013

• Thanks so so much, Doodlebopfan. I am wiser now and will learn to be more careful. Guess I learned the HARD way. God help me.
    Lanike

Comment by Lanike (original poster) at 8:31 AM on Apr. 11, 2013

• Maybe look into putting her in a Baby Bjorn when you are holding her or walking around with her. That way she is secure and your hands are free. Plus, you can have her either face you or face out, which they sort of like when they start seeing things a little more clearly.

It sounds like you have done what you can for the time being.  Just keep an eye on her and her behavior and report anything that isn't normal.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:52 AM on Apr. 11, 2013

• Take her to the Dr. ad have her checked out. Little ones do thi and that is why we have to be extra vigellant when we hold them or pick them up.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:37 AM on Apr. 11, 2013