I hope Hooters loses their a$$ on this one!

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/hooters-waitress-post-brain-surgery-appearance-cost-job/story?id=18905769

If this waitress doesn't win her lawsuit, then I believe it will open the door for any employer to discriminate against someone like her :(

What do you think?

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 10:14 AM on Apr. 11, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Hooters Is known for its very attractive women and hair is considered part of it. I am sorry for her and when her hair grows back she will probably be welcomed.

Think of a differrent situation where a person is in construction and (s)he discovers there is a growth in the muscle and it must be removed. This involves removing part of the muscle. He can not work at that job. He no longer has the qualifications. The muscle/ strength to do the job.

Think of the same man or woman on the pretty "boy" circuit of wrestling. They simply do not meet the requirements.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:00 AM on Apr. 11, 2013

• IDK, I have mixed feelings about it honestly. It's wrong that they dismissed her, however if I were a patron and could see a healing wound like that I would lose my appetite, along with any contents of my stomach. I can watch surgery on TV and stuff, but show me a wound on a real live person and I go weak in the knees. Not something I want to see, especially in a restaurant. Call me a bigot if you must.

Honestly, I think the employer should allow her any workable option to cover the wound and let it be.

FTR, I don't find bald women or men unattractive and lets face it, people aren't at hooters to see the pretty hair.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:36 AM on Apr. 11, 2013

• Hooters is a superficial place known for their hot waitresses, and that's the only reason she got hired in the first place. A buzzed head with a big scar doesn't fit their criteria. She should have known that and tried to save herself the embarrassment of them making her wear a wig.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 11:08 AM on Apr. 11, 2013

• If you've ever been to Hooters you know what the waitresses look like and it's a requirement. To have a huge scar on your head and bald is not one of the requirements. Could they have worked with her better I'm sure but she knew going into the job that they didn't hire her for how smart she was or was not. As long as you have the looks you get hired.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 12:13 PM on Apr. 11, 2013

• I'm sorry, but aside from giving her a job in the kitchen or something, I don't really see what else they could do. As a customer, I don't really want to see a wound when I'm out to eat. And, as has been mentioned, Hooters is all about the attractive waitresses. It's not about the food, it's about the ass-hugging shorts and the boobs that are barely hidden by a tank top, and a pretty face and hair to go with it. Now, I grant you, being bald and having this wound don't make her unattractive, per se, but they do make her not fit the typical "Hooters girl" image. That image is a requirement of the job (show me one overweight woman that has worked at Hooters while being overweight), and if she doesn't meet that requirement, then it's not true discrimination. It might be unfair, but, unless people make it clear they want to see something other than just beautiful women at Hooters, it's going to continue.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:35 PM on Apr. 11, 2013

• Well, Hooters is known for its attractive waitresses. I have mixed feelings about this because even though it sucks that she list her job after going through that, her appearance isn't now consistent with the environment of the place. It's shallow, it's disgusting, I would never set foot on a Hooters that's the gimmick associated with the place and a huge reason for its success. At one point does an employer have the right to keep the theme and environment of his business? Certain jobs require certain appearance, that's reality. It's terrible that she lost that appearance in such a tragic way, but if instead of that she had earned 50 lbs. and therefore lost her Hooters job, would there be the same indignation?
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 1:25 PM on Apr. 11, 2013

• I'm curious why she didn't try wearing a head scarf instead. I knew an older woman with shingles on her skull and couldn't wear her usual wig.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:43 AM on Apr. 11, 2013

• It's sad, but the people who go to those breast-aurants want to see a certain kind of girl, and that's what they're paying for. It's not the hot wings. I'm not surprise the waitress was dismissed. The whole thing is nauseating to me, but the free market seems to have decided it's an okay way to run a business.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:45 PM on Apr. 11, 2013