LOL. How do you feel about this one? - "Pet food stamps"!

It's a program offering food stamps for pet food to low income families!

I think it's interesting. I want to know where the money comes from, and part of me thinks if one cannot afford to feed a pet, one should not have a pet, but if it helps keeps pets from being abused or abandoned and keeps them out of shelters then I suppose it's a good thing. I also know that there are people that fall into hard times AFTER they've had their pet for years so....who am I to judge.

What are your thoughts?

LINK

maecntpntz219

Asked by maecntpntz219 at 12:39 PM on Apr. 11, 2013 in Money & Work

• I didn't click the link but I bet some of those poor people will probably eat the pet food themselves. It's sad :(
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:44 PM on Apr. 11, 2013

• I can't afford the vet bills, food, etc for a pet, so we don't have one. I hope my tax dollars aren't going to this!

Answer by missanc at 12:56 PM on Apr. 11, 2013

• Are you kidding me?!?!?
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 12:59 PM on Apr. 11, 2013

• If it keeps animals in homes and out of shelters...sounds fine to me. I personally have payed vet bills, etc for friends who couldn't afford it for the animal's sake.
    Nos4

Answer by Nos4 at 1:00 PM on Apr. 11, 2013

• I wish people would learn to read or at least gather information before they make stupid comments about tax dollars going to this. (Missanc this isn't directed at you but in people in general who have made the comments on facebook and other social media websites about this great organization. Pet Food Stamps is part of a non profit organization. It is not run through the government. I strongly support it because 1. sometimes bad things happen to good people and they lose their jobs. If having an organization that helps them pay for their pet's food until they can get back on their feet then that is awesome. That is one less pet that winds up at an animal shelter because the owners had no choice. Cont..

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 1:05 PM on Apr. 11, 2013

• 2. There are several homeless people who own pets. They have either met these strays along the way or they had them before they became homeless. A recent study was done on homeless people and pets and the ones who own pets are more likely to get back on their feet quicker and they and the pet lead a better quality of life than a homeless person or a stray pet without each other. Okay, I am stepping off my soapbox now.
    JeremysMom

• If it's being run by a not for profit, I think it's a great idea. Those animals would probably otherwise end up in shelters (many funded by tax dollars) and more than likely be put down.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:28 PM on Apr. 11, 2013

• Non profit is great. Willing to bet if more people knew about it they'd help out. What's a family that falls on hard times to do? Kick the pet out and listen to the kids crying because Fido isn't with them anymore? Sometimes a pet is the only source of normal for people when everything else is falling apart. A pet also doesn't know if you don't have money or not. They still love you.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 1:37 PM on Apr. 11, 2013

• That makes sense. It does mention it's non-profit, guess I skipped over that part lol.
    maecntpntz219

Comment by maecntpntz219 (original poster) at 1:56 PM on Apr. 11, 2013

• I'm for it. I have a friend that is struggling right now and she's getting food stamps but she is having trouble feeding her two dogs. This is a bump in the road because she has lost her job and can't find another. She should not have to give up her dogs because of this. It pisses me off when people say shit like "If they are getting government assistance than they should get rid of their pets." People act like getting assistance is the worst thing a person could do and that, if the are getting assistance, they should be punished and the govt should control everything they spend. I've heard people say that people on assistance should be made to get rid of their pets, shouldn't be allowed to buy chips or soda, shouldn't be allowed to have more kids, ect. It makes me mad. Yes, some people take advantage of the govt and refuse to work but the majority of people on assistance are just down on their luck and need some help.
    Cowgirl_Coyote

Answer by Cowgirl_Coyote at 2:46 PM on Apr. 11, 2013