Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Where to file

im moving from one city to another and im goin to file for custody and was wondering if I should file in the city im leaving or the one im moving to

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:58 PM on Apr. 11, 2013 in Travel

Answers (4)
  • I thought you had to file in the county you reside in.

    Answer by QuinnMae at 1:10 PM on Apr. 11, 2013

  • Do it after you move.

    Answer by louise2 at 1:31 PM on Apr. 11, 2013

  • It's usually by county, not city. If the city you're moving to is in another state, you need to do some investigating because some states have residency requirements before you can file any kind of court documents like that. Some also have requirements such as if the father still lives in the county where the original divorce or custody agreements were made, any modifications also have to go through there.

    Answer by wendythewriter at 3:32 PM on Apr. 11, 2013

  • File at the place you're moving to, because that is where you will reside. Wait until after you've moved to file it though. However, if there's already an ongoing civil suit (divorce in progress), you'd need to notify the court that is processing that suit. I would also recommend double-checking with the Clerk of the Court where you're living now. They can answer basic questions like that or you might find the answer online on their website.

    Answer by hellokittykat at 12:28 AM on Apr. 12, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.