Ptsd/battered women

I heard that battered women can get ptsd. have ne og the battered women here had ptsd due to the abuse? I ask because netime I sense m dh getting mad I start shaking really bad get really weak and feel like im going to puke. don't know if im just nervious around him or if it could b more seriouse

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:10 PM on Apr. 11, 2013 in Health

• It's fear. Be strong for the children & go to a shelter. If you want custody, I think I would keep the PTSD to myself. GL!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:15 PM on Apr. 11, 2013

• Are you saying your current husband is abusive? Or you were abused in the past and are now fearful when your current husband gets upset? It's not PTSD if it's your current husband who is abusive. In that case, you just need to get out.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 2:00 PM on Apr. 11, 2013

• Has your current husband ever hurt you, or was the abuse in your past? You could have PTSD in which past abuse triggers fear responses in your present relationship. In that case, cognitive therapy can help you recognize your triggers and responses and startthinking about them differently so that your reactions will change. Also, if your current husband isn't responsible or the fear reactions, reassuring him that he isn't doing anything wrong and that you aren't actually afraid of him is very important.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:00 PM on Apr. 11, 2013

• its only PTSD if its from something that occured in the past, hence the P which stands for Post. soldiers who've come back from a war but suffer post traumatic stress disorder back at home when they are no longer in the battle zone. and yes, even women who have been abused in the past but feel symptoms even if they are no longer in the abusive relationship.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:44 PM on Apr. 11, 2013