WAHM's hours?

Approximately how many hours a day do you work? Do you work weekends? What about nights? How do you separate work time and family time? What is your favorite time to work?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:03 PM on Apr. 11, 2013 in Money & Work

• I drop off dd at school and get online around 9:30. I work until 5 when I pick her up, taking short breaks and lunch whenever I want. There are some nights I work, but I wait till after she goes to bed at 8. I usually put in a few hours on Sunday nights, so it is around 45 hours a week. I'm salaried and work remote for a software company.

There are occasional times when I have to get a project done or have a late meeting. DH gets home by 5:30 and will help take over if I need him to. Otherwise, I have no issue separating work and family time.

I am most productive at night mainly because no one is online asking me questions.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 2:28 PM on Apr. 11, 2013

• I work when my daughter is in pre-K, Monday and Friday afternoons from 12:30 to 3:30, Tuesdays and Thursdays from 8:30 to 3:30. I work most nights after she's gone to bed, between about nine PM and one or two AM. Sometimes when I have a lot of deadlines, I have to work on Wednesdays or in the afternoons when my daughter is home. That gets difficult because she's very demanding of my attention and hasn't figured out that if she leaves me alone to finish what I have to do, we get more time together in the end. I set my own hours proofreading textbooks for braille production houses all over the country. Working from home allows me the freedom to be with my daughter as much as possible, but it's also challenging because the books are always there. I can't walk away from them and forget about the office over weekends or holidays. So there's a bit of a tug-of-war going on all the time about which hat I should be wearing.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:50 PM on Apr. 11, 2013

• My job has extremely flexible hours, as there are no real deadlines but the ones I set for myself. As a indie writer, I determine my own publishing schedule, so I can set my own hours. Typically, I work for an hour or so in the morning before we begin homeschooling, an hour at lunch, then between 2-4 hours during the late afternoon/early evening hours, and occasionally 1-2 hours after the kids go to bed. I do work on weekends, often. But I love writing, so it doesn't really feel like work to me. I make sure my kids have plenty of my time and attention, and if they want me to do something with/for them, I usually stop what I'm doing to do that.

I don't know that I really have a favorite time to work. I work when I can fit it in.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 3:04 PM on Apr. 11, 2013

• I normally get breakfast around for my kids (two and 10 months) aren't old enough for school and I don't exactly trust our daycares with some stuff going on where I live.. But I get up around 7:30am for me time and to check email and voicemail (if the kids haven't got up yet), I make breakfast around 8:00-8:30am depending when the kids wake up, I try to make my schedule, then do dishes and pick up the kitchen and start laundry if it is the beginning of the week, I work and tend to the kids, sometimes I take my work outside depending on the weather, I make lunch, kids do nap time, I pick up a little, tend to work...kind of keeps going like that throughout the day.. My job isn't exactly one I have to keep at a desk, although I have an office area. As long as I have my phone and email availability I am normally ready to go.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:10 PM on Apr. 11, 2013

• I love everyones answers, I felt like I wasn't spending enough time with my children even though they are with me 24/7.. I felt like I was the only WAHM that worked on and off through the day or "weird" hours. :) Thanks!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:12 PM on Apr. 11, 2013

• I will soon be working from home Monday through Friday from 8 to 4:30.
    hatagaj

Answer by hatagaj at 3:15 PM on Apr. 11, 2013

• I work 40hrs/wk (8hrs/day). My children are all in school, I start my work in the morning, take a break to get kids ready for school do some of my work when they are in school, and the rest I do at night. I generally work 6-7 days per week (as my friday and monday hours I can flex and do part over the weekend).
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:25 PM on Apr. 11, 2013

• I never stop working. We own stores, so we are always busy with that.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:48 PM on Apr. 11, 2013

• When I'm working from home, I work on and off throughout the day. I teach at the local college, and for that, I only have to be on campus for the actual class times. I can write all my lectures, grade papers and enter grades, and prepare materials at home. I guess it is unique in that it has a bunch of really short tasks, so I can sit down and grade a paper or enter grades for an assignment in whatever 5 minutes I can scrounge up throughout the day.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:09 PM on Apr. 11, 2013