all she wants to do is suck

my 3 week old girl is starting to have wakeful periods, but all she wants to do is stare around and nurse, but she definitely isn't hungry. She sucks but doesn't swallow and I don't know what to do to entertain her. Any suggestions?

tegansnowflake

Asked by tegansnowflake at 8:34 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• the sucking is a comfort measure for her, and while I refused to give my daughter a pacifier for a while, it was around 3 weeks when I realized that it was comfort, not food, that she wanted and finally gave her one, and the problem was solved.
    If you have tried to give her one and she did not like it, try one with a different shape.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 8:35 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• i never wanted to give her one, but since i was in the hospital after delivering her she's wanted to always suck and i was so sore that i gave her the hospital one (soothie), and i bought the NUK ones and she doesnt like either one.
    tegansnowflake

Answer by tegansnowflake at 8:39 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Do they have the flat side on the bottom? The ones that are supposed to be good for their teeth or some crap like that?
    If so, my daughter didn't like those ones. My neighbor had the same problem, and so she bought me the kind that her daughter used, and darn it I can't think of the name of them, but they are round all the way around, well, not like a circle, but more like an oval....does that make sense? I found them at Safeway (a grocery store) so maybe next time you go shopping, look in the baby stuff and look through the packaging and try one that doesn't have a flat side.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 8:43 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• You could give a pacifier or your finger or knuckle.
    I don't see anything wrong with a pacifier anyway.... some babys just have a strong need to suck!
    Some people will say it will cause nipple confussion... but I don't by it. It doesn't give milk it's no different than if they found there own thumb or you gave your finger.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:39 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• My first son was like that, he would fuss and I would think it was he wanted to nurse and like other moms have said. I had to give him a pacifier. He was using me as one. You need those two hours in between feeding to not only gather yourself but to let your breast have a rest. LOL Give the baby a pacifier and try different ones. My son loved the NUK brand.
    jazzy1980

Answer by jazzy1980 at 10:51 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• If it were me, I'd just nurse.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:52 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Just nurse her. At three weeks, she doesn't need much entertaining. (Otherwise every mom would be issued a pair of tap shoes upon delivery. **grin**)

You CAN use a pacifier if you want...but if she changes her latch, toss it! A few minutes of her being off the breast isn't worth hours of pain when she's on it.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:12 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• my ds went through that at about 3 wks too, i finally gave in and got the pacifier, he didn't like the nuk's eaither, we used the advent ones and the mam ones. there was a little bit of trouble at first- not nipple confusion, but he wanted his binkey all the time, now he just uses it for falling asleep and car rides
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 12:04 AM on Feb. 17, 2009