If I just moved in to a trailor and the landlord new it had bad wireing and my kids breathing equipment etc. is all gone, and he wants rent and refuses to pay any damages, wat should i do

The trailor burnt twice and he told us it wasn"t going to kill us we have a bed and a sofa use it.

Ms.Vicki222419

Asked by Ms.Vicki222419 at 4:05 PM on Apr. 11, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• He has no legal obligation to replace your personal items, even the medical items. That is why renters should get renter's insurance. It's a shame there are evil landlords out there like him but we have to learn from experiences like this and stay away from them. I'd call Section 8. I know you are not on it or they would have never passed it for inspection but they'd know who you can call to turn him in as a slum landlord. You could look up online the Landlord Tenant Act for your state and see if it tells you who to call. People like your landlord need to be put out of business. See if the police will charge him with Child Endangerment. See if your child's medical insurance will replace the machine with a fire department report. As for rent, I'd find another place to rent.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:48 PM on Apr. 11, 2013

• Why would you rent from such a douche??? You would be better off at a homeless shelter. At least there they have to follow safety guidelines... Seriously, look into a safer place to live, then get legal advice on how to recoup your losses. Good Luck.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 7:08 PM on Apr. 11, 2013

• I would call the local public defender's office or the County Attorney's office and ask for their advice as to what you can do legally. There's probably nothing you can do without some kind of legal assistance.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:38 PM on Apr. 11, 2013

• Your children come first. Find a better place for them.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 4:36 PM on Apr. 11, 2013

• Follow Nanny B's advice- get legal advice & start looking for a new place to live. GL
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:46 PM on Apr. 11, 2013

• Call a lawyer
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 8:37 PM on Apr. 11, 2013

• I would tell him that you aren't going to pay rent until it gets fixed, ad remind him that it's a health hazard for your children, which could be a large lawsuit.
    Kalibsmommy86

Answer by Kalibsmommy86 at 8:01 AM on Apr. 12, 2013