Have any tasty quinoa recipes? That you have actually made?

My child is now a vegetarian and I need to come up with some quinoa recipes. Thanks!!

silverthreads

Asked by silverthreads at 7:38 PM on Apr. 11, 2013 in Food & Drink

• I make an awesome quinoa salad my family loves.

Cook one box of quinoa in veggie broth. Chop a jar of roasted red bell peppers, 2 or 3 different colored raw bell peppers, and handful of cilantro. Remove corn kernels off of 3 ears of fresh corn. Pour the freshly cooked quinoa into the bowl and onto the raw corn and roasted peppers. The quinoa MUST be hot off the stove so its heat can partially cook the raw corn.

Next stir in your favorite plain yogurt. I use Greek yogurt. It gives it a nice tangy taste. Stir a little and add more until its nicely coated.

PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 7:50 PM on Apr. 11, 2013

• Take a look at the recipes on the Whole Foods website. I just got an email with some links to quinoa recipes.

I make extra when we have it for dinner, as a starch. DS1 and I will eat it like oatmeal in the morning.

Another good grain with a lot of protein is amaranth. I cook it with my steel cut oatmeal.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:06 PM on Apr. 11, 2013

• Btw, I refrigerate it and serve it cold. It's even better the next day.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 7:51 PM on Apr. 11, 2013

• When I make it, it's pretty tasteless. I've seen some recipes on Pinterest. Have you checked there??
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:34 PM on Apr. 11, 2013

• I had some for lunch today.
    Cooked quinoa, diced green and red peppers, corn (frozen - thawed or canned) black beans, and finely diced red onion. Mix together.
    Then in a small bowl mix some olive oil, the juice of a lime, chopped cilantro and minced garlic with salt and pepper to taste. Once blended, pour over quinoa and toss. It was really good served on a halved avocado. You could dice it up and toss it with the other stuff too.

Another I like is similar, with quinoa, garbanzo beans, red and green peppers, onion, cucumber tossed with Italian dressing. Toss in some halved cherry tomatoes and feta cheese.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:37 PM on Apr. 11, 2013

• I add it to taco meat or chili.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:40 AM on Apr. 12, 2013

• i usually make herbed quinoa. i boil chicken broth, dump in the quinoa, when its ready i fluff and add whatever herbs sound good. basil is my favorite...really brings out the nutty-ness of the quinoa. my kids eat it up so thats always a sign that its good!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 6:16 PM on Apr. 12, 2013