Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Income tax question

If I mail my income tax at the post office on the 15th will it be automatically postmarked for the 15th? What time is the latest I can mail it? And can I just put it in the box outside or do I have to go in?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 8:43 PM on Apr. 11, 2013 in Money & Work

Answers (6)
  • If you bring it to the post office before midnight on the 15th they will postmark it the 15th, but you should go in because they only pick up the outside boxes at certain times.

    Answer by amandajoy21 at 8:44 PM on Apr. 11, 2013

  • Call and ask when the last load is processed,and go in and hand it to a postal worker

    Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:44 PM on Apr. 11, 2013

  • If you can't get your taxes in soon enough to be postmarked April 15 and you are filing a standard form, you can submit your information to the IRS online for free.

    Answer by Ballad at 9:53 PM on Apr. 11, 2013

  • Yes, but you should double check with your local post office. They used to have extended hours until midnight but due to budget cuts, they're shortening the hours. You can put it in the box at the post office and don't have to bring it in. Most post offices have a manual or automated weigh scale you can use to double check the weight. You can use the automated machines so that the stamp date definitely says April 15 on it. Also, most people don't know this but you only need to mail it in on time if you owe money. If you're due a refund, you can mail it in late without penalty because they owe you money. I've been doing this for years and haven't had any problems.  You can also mail in corrections (1040-X form) later if you find out you forget to include something or miscalculated something.


    Answer by hellokittykat at 11:34 PM on Apr. 11, 2013

  • I also recommend using the free filing options online because they double-check your calculations and help maximize your returns. You are eligible for free filing if your income is $57,000 or less. If it's more than that, you can still use free file fillable forms. You can file a 6 month extension online or by mail if you can't get it in on time. Electronic filing tends to get your refunds faster, too.


    Answer by hellokittykat at 11:41 PM on Apr. 11, 2013

  • If you take it directly to a processing center, yes. If you take it to the post office, as long as they have a pick up that evening, it will also be postmarked.

    Answer by m-avi at 12:14 PM on Apr. 12, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.