We've got some work to do right here in America ...

Kansas City homeless city: Group found living underground and in crude camps

By Daily Mail Reporter

PUBLISHED: 21:17 EST, 8 April 2013 | UPDATED: 08:31 EST, 9 April 201

Below the streets of Kansas City, there are deep underground tunnels where a group of vagrant homeless people lived in camps.

These so-called homeless camps have now been uncovered by the Kansas City Police, who then evicted the residents because of the unsafe environment.

Authorities said these people were living in squalor, with piles of garbage and dirty diapers left around wooded areas.

Underground city: A group of homeless people outside of Kansas City had been burrowing in tunnels up to 25 ft deep

Investigation: Kansas City Police went down in the holes after discovering squalid living conditions in a nearby encampment

Squatting: A nearby above-ground settlement crudely made with an old mattress and logs

According to the KMBC, police first noticed there were soiled diapers around what looked like encampments, meaning that children could be exposed to unsafe living conditions.

Kansas City policeman Jason Cooley told the paper that officers found a series of winding underground tunnels and were directed there because of a recent crime spree.

‘One of the tunnels probably went 20 to 25 feet underground towards the back and veered off in another direction about six feet or so,’ he told the Kansas City Star, adding that they discovered candles and bedding as well in some of the cavern’s alcoves.

It is unclear who exactly the homeless people are, or how they dug such deep entrenchments.

Another sort of shanty-town was found nearby.

Filth: The homeless suburb was broken up by police; those living there have been given assistance by a local mission

Wave of crime: Police said that people living at one of the encampments have been stealing copper

Bedding: Authorities found dirt-covered pillows and sheets in some of the winding burrows

Authorities said that the thieves have stolen copper from a nearby grain mill, and according to KMBC, millions of dollars-worth of the crop are at risk of spoiling.

Residents of both were told they needed to vacate the premises, and a ministry organization was on-site to assist any homeless people with shelter needs.

The holes were closed up last Friday after a police robot searched the caverns.

Moonshine: A discarded liquor bottle was found in the camp

...as were piles of dirty clothes and pieces of paper

Down the hole: One of the holes to an underground portion; the burrows were later filled in by police

Camp nowhere: It is unclear who these people are

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2306113/Kansas-City-homeless-city-Group-living-underground-crude-camps.html

There are a lot of pictures at the link which I didn't cut and paste. It's so sad. Makes me think more of our tax dollars should be spent helping our own hard-up citizens. Also makes me feel very fortunate because I have a roof over my head and warm beds for my family.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 12:57 AM on Apr. 12, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• The saddest part is that the government came in and destroyed what these people called their homes and their "adopted" families. Yes some of them were thieves but I'm sure for some it was a safe warm place to live instead of trying to sleep under a bridge. It was a place where they were accepted for who they are instead of what we want them to be. I'm sure it was dirty, etc but to them it was home. Would most of us want to live there? Most likely not. Not that is unless we were out on the street and no where to turn to because the shelters were full, scared an abusive spouse might find us, etc then I think I would live there even in the dirt. You also have to realize that underground stays the same temp year round so it might be 10 above ground and still be 59 down below same with 100 above 59 below. Not necessarily a bad thing.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 10:51 AM on Apr. 12, 2013

• I agree. we spend so much time, money and effort helping other countries (and I am not saying that it is bad to help people in need), but so little effort seems to go into helping our countries homeless and starving people.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 6:00 AM on Apr. 12, 2013

• Not only do we send money to other countries when many of our own citizens are suffering, but we waste money on a lot of studies and projects that are not necessary. How about the robot squirrel? Why are we funding the development of a robot squirrel when people here are starving and stealing from others just to eat? Our government squeals like pigs when their spending increases are decreased by a fraction (still spending more than we did last year so there are no REAL cuts), yet we have a whole little town of people that are having to dig their homes underground?
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:21 AM on Apr. 12, 2013

• We always have money for wars but not enough for our poor.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 9:51 AM on Apr. 12, 2013

• Sometimes I wonder though.... Will that really help the ones that truly need the help?
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:09 PM on Apr. 12, 2013

• Sadly these people are in every city of any size. Some do not was to be in the traditional settings and do not want to be restricted by government. Some choose the life they live no matter what you do. I can not say that I understand it but I do know it is true.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:24 PM on Apr. 12, 2013

• I really don't understand this. There are homeless shelters, soup kitchens, Salvation Army, section 8 housing, vocational training, food stamps, etc., etc. There is no reason that any healthy adult or child should be living in tunnels and stealing to live. Help is out there.

Answer by missanc at 2:31 PM on Apr. 12, 2013

• Our govt should be ashamed of themselves. Society as a whole should be ashamed. Didn't anyone realize this news report was written in the UK?? Overseas?? It takes another country to report this and nobody here picked up on this story?? Now those poor people were evicted from their "home" once again. They were probably safer there underground then in shelters..
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 11:59 PM on Apr. 12, 2013