Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4 Bumps

Adding to a child's name?

Hello ladies,
I currently live in S.C. and want to add my fiancé's last name to my 11 year old daughters name. I have asked my daughter and she wants the same last name as her little brother and sister. I do not want to take her biological father's last name away from her but just add to it. Is this possible at all and does her father have to know and give consent seeing as how he has not seen or spoken to her since she was 2?
Could I add his last name to mine as well without getting married right now?


Answer Question

Asked by family0530 at 1:30 AM on Apr. 12, 2013 in General Parenting

Level 6 (119 Credits)
Answers (2)
  • Well, I think that depends is the biological father name on the child's birth certificate my mom was in the same situation I agreed to getting my last name changed

    Answer by Shaketa123 at 1:43 AM on Apr. 12, 2013

  • think the bio father has to sign papers on a name change for the child (even if he has never seen the child)

    at least in my state

    call a lawyer, pretty simple question and you should be able to find one lawyer who will answer this over the phone, because if you need a lawyer to draw up papers, a lawyer that answers this will most likely be hired by you

    good luck

    i am in the same boat
    i am going through court for cs and custody, and just asked my lawyer to draw up the papers to bring to court and ask the father to sign a name change, i am also adding my last name, and using his last name (current last name of child) will be her middle name
    and in my state, the bio father has to sign off on this change

    goo luck!

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:42 AM on Apr. 12, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.