Solids.

So my son is three and a half months old,his pediatrician says at 4 m he can start solids, wic says 6...i know it has to do with digestion and allergies, but what have some of you done, when do you start? i know for my daughter, i did 6 months old, strictly...but i was also a first time mommy and did everything by the code of wic cos i didn't already know what i was supposed to be doing...anyway, he's already tried little bits of flavors off my finger, but nothing extreme and nothing he'd have to use a lot to digest.
mommy suggestions and advice? : thanks.

Cowbell88

Asked by Cowbell88 at 9:42 AM on Apr. 12, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I agree that by and large, WIC workers are a bunch of assholes. I wasn't receiving food assistance, but I had visits from a home nurse every so often, mostly to cover my own butt because there were those who wanted my baby taken from me on account of my blindness. The nurse gave me endless tons of grief because my daughter got a slow start and wasn't growing normally according to her one-size-fits-all charts. I would be in tears after her visits, when she would push me to feed the baby more--you can't force an infant who is done, you can't make her suck when she doesn't want to. My daughter had her five year checkup recently, and she's right square on the middle of the growth charts and amazingly healthy. All that anxiety for nothing.

As to solids, I'd wait. One night your baby will be hungry and un-soothable, and a bit of solid food will do the trick. Till that night comes, why rush things?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:41 PM on Apr. 12, 2013

• Wait til 6 months

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:52 AM on Apr. 12, 2013

• I wouildn't be in any kind of a hurry to get started. If the pedi says he CAN start at 4 months it doesn't mean that he MUST.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 10:16 AM on Apr. 12, 2013

• Rice cereal is junk food; it has no nutritional value. Might be good for spitting, but that's about it.

Wait and see what he does. My middle and third children we grabbed for food off of my plate by 4-4.5, so I started them on solids. If he shows no interest, then wait.

I wouldn't be in any hurry, like winterglow said. You get to feed your kids solids for next 17 years at least. Why rush it?
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:09 AM on Apr. 12, 2013

• My son, the guideline was 4-6 months and you can introduce solids. We started at 4 months. He was fine with all foods.

My daughter, the guideline was NO SOLIDS until 6 months. With doctor approval we started her at 4 months. She was sitting up on her own, she was interested in our food, and she kept trying to steal food off our plates. We had to hold off on the sweeter foods for a bit longer. She'd take a few bites of sweet potato or a fruit and almost instantly get a rash at her temples. We'd stop feeding her that food and it would go away in about 5 minutes.

My kids are now 9 and 6 and have NO food allergies or sensitivities.

My comments on WIC to follow.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:34 AM on Apr. 12, 2013

• WIC is a bunch of assholes. They are NOT medical professionals at all, and will give advice that directly conflicts with a doctor's advice. My son was about 2 and had his well baby check up with his doctor on Monday. He was 95% for height, 98% for weight and perfectly proportional for HIM. The doctor was NOT worried about him, at all. We had a WIC appointment that Friday. They would NOT accept our information from the doctor on his height/weight, they HAD to do their own measurements.

After doing their own measurements the Indian Bitch (from India) looked me dead in the eye and told me I needed to stop feeding my son so much food, he was FAT. That was the last time I set foot in a WIC office, after giving them ALL a very loud piece of my mind.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:40 AM on Apr. 12, 2013

• @winterglow, yeah i may try rice cereal, since he has been on breast milk and added rice formula for spit up, but i'm not going to go crazy with flavors.
    Cowbell88

Comment by Cowbell88 (original poster) at 10:34 AM on Apr. 12, 2013

• The later the better. 6 months +
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:06 PM on Apr. 12, 2013