my son is 8 an pees bed every night need help with smell and how to help him

he pees the bed every night and if we do pull-ups it causes rashes and if we don't same problem and he takes a bath every morning and how to get the smell out of blankets and clothes

Jessacia L.

Asked by Jessacia L. at 11:16 AM on Apr. 12, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• Talk to his doctor
    WASH them. Pee comes out. Add some borax to the cycles

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:20 AM on Apr. 12, 2013

• First things first. Take him to a dr to rule out any medical problems. Often times the problem is their bladder simply isn't large enough and he has to learn how to "stretch" it during the day. That involves drinking a lot of fluid and then holding off peeing as long as possible to force the bladder to hold it. There's also meds that can be given that will help out.

My daughter was 16 when she FINALLY stopped. We ended up having to pitch her old pillow, mattress, sheets, blankets and paint the bedroom to get rid of the smell. When we did she stopped. Something about the smell we found out can also cause them to keep wetting the bed. Wish I had known earlier.

If you don't have a plastic sheet on the mattress that 's the first thing you need. Same with the pillow. Then spray with Lysol everytime he wets to kill the smell. Use a good smelling detergent and wash serperately from everything else.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 11:22 AM on Apr. 12, 2013

• Waterproof mattress pad over the mattress (Walmart has them) & waterproof pads for on top of the fitted sheet. Then wash the top sheet & blankets that get wet. Is he constipated? Usually constipation causes bed wetting when the child is a little older. Take to his Pediatrician & try Miralax for a month or two & see if it subsides. It's not a laxative that makes them go urgently it just softens what is in there to make it easier to go.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:37 AM on Apr. 12, 2013

• Have you tried those Goodnights bed mats? They stick to the sheet so hopefully the urine won't soak through and you can just peel off the disposable mat and throw it away.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:54 AM on Apr. 12, 2013

• I agree with the mats. Also try night time pull ups to save you from doing laundry every morning until the problem is solved. Have you tried eliminating liquid before bed, waking him up at night to use the bathroom, etc?
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:01 PM on Apr. 12, 2013

• All of the above are good suggestions. I'm not sure what to tell you about the mattress, it may be ruined if you haven't been using a waterproof mattress pad. You could try pulling the mattress outside in the sun all day. Linens and clothes need to be washed immediately and it should come out. Once the urine sets the smell is hard to get out with just your usual laundry routine. Lysol is good. Baking soda may help.

My son wet the bed until age 8. He was able to use pull ups. Our doctor advised no caffeine 4 or 5 hours before bed and no drinks with red dye (red Gatorade, Kool-aid, red soft drinks, fruit punch). Do make sure it isn't a bladder infection or other medical problem by getting him a check-up.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 3:20 PM on Apr. 12, 2013

• I know you don't want to hear this, but my son wet the bed until he was 15. We tried everything. The alarm, pills, waking him... Nothing worked. His body just had to mature. Just use the pull ups. Try a different brand. There are under jams too. There really isn't anything you can do. The alarm helped a little. You can give that a try. Good luck.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:25 PM on Apr. 12, 2013

• My son had same problem he actually stopped at 8 but wasn't every night though....But smell was bad...I would get waterproof sheet but if you wondering bout smell in his mattress I would sprinkle some baby powder and let it sit for a bit and then take an old brush or something and rub it into the mattress, then vacuum this helps a little so its not over powering and febreeze is good to use....And for clothes I would use some awesome in your laundry you can get it at the dollar tree and works good on just about anything....Or if you want to use home you can use some apple cider vinegar like 1/4 cup to your laundry with hot water and let it presoak still add your laundry soap and fabric softener sometimes this helps and if possible let it air dry outside then throw in dryer for few mins just to take out the lint on the clothes.
    Sheri S.

Answer by Sheri S. at 9:01 AM on Apr. 13, 2013

• I use white vinegar in the wash cycle. I put about a cup in the bleach dispenser and let it run through. It neutralizes the odor every time.

As others have said, wrap the mattress in a waterproof pad. They make really good ones these days that are soft and don't make crinkle sounds.

If the doc gives him a clean bill of health, he'll have to grow out of it. But you can teach him to be responsible for himself without shaming him. My son is supposed to tell me he had an accident, then strip his bed and carry his sheets to the laundry room. Then he helps me make up his bed with fresh linens. If he does this, he is praised for being responsible. If he doesn't, he is disciplined for not being responsible. It's not about the pee; it's about taking care of yourself.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 6:51 PM on Apr. 19, 2013