has anyone heard of a plastiebell for new born boy circumcission

mandi59901

Asked by mandi59901 at 8:39 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I work in surgery and have done a LOT of redos when pediatricians use the plastibells. The pediatric urologists always have to redo them b/c they look horrible. I wouldn't let my pedi do it.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 8:58 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• My son had one. I had never heard of it. It is pretty simple- they tie a plastic ring around the tip of the penis (with the foreskin to be detached under it). After a few days (2 weeks at most) it falls off. It was a little nerver racking towards the end because it looks like the entire head of the penis is coming loose- it is just the plastible, string, and foreskin (all a little bloody) coming off.
    The care of it is very easy and it didn't seem to upset my son at all.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 8:41 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• My son isn't circ'd but I work postpartum sometimes and help the doctors do circ's...
    The difference between that and the more standard is that the plastibell is a higher risk of infection from the ring... and the regular circ is higher risk for bleeding.
    Both have the foreskin cut, but with the plastibell the skin isn't cut back as far
    The plastibell is easier to care for... although the regular circ isn't difficult
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:07 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• both of my sons had plastibells and niether one had any trouble.
    nsteinerlpn

Answer by nsteinerlpn at 9:12 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Yes, my son had that. It took a little over a week for the foreskin to fall off.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 11:12 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• My son had the Plastiebell and I would recommend it. I was easy to take care of and healed fast . No problems here. Hope this helps.

Mrs.Smith84

Answer by Mrs.Smith84 at 4:09 AM on Feb. 17, 2009