Why do people have to be a**holes just for the sake of being a**holes?

Dealing with this at work. I have 2 coworkers that are complete bitches for absolutely no reason. They refuse to ever do anything but smile to my face but will send e-mails intended to be directed at me, yet seem vague to everyone who is unaware of how they treat me. My supervisors are greatly aware of their attitudes but because they have never done anything outright against company policy, I'm simply told to "let it go" and I do. I get over things fairly quickly but it's literally every other day that I'm being persecuted by them for any little reason they can find. (I was called out in an e-mail the other day for an extremely minor typo on and extremely low priority e-mail.....seriously???) I treat EVERYONE the way I'd want to be treated, but in return I treat others how they treat me. Plain and simple. SO ANNOYED AND FED UP RIGHT NOW!

Can anyone give me a good reason why people are like this?

maecntpntz219

Asked by maecntpntz219 at 12:43 PM on Apr. 12, 2013 in Relationships

• i'm dealing with a friend who is acting like that right now and i'm hoping you find an answer cuz i'm about to go off on her.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 12:46 PM on Apr. 12, 2013

• I would not give them the satisfaction of knowing they got to me at all. That's precisely why they do what they do to you--so they can have the pleasure of knowing they got your goat. I would go to great extremes to let them know I could care less what they think or what they do. I would kill them with kindness, even to the point of leaving little treats and notes on their desks. I learned a long time ago that the best way to deal with people who want to hurt you or disturb you is to simply be unhurt and/or undisturbed. Betcha money they will stop!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 12:47 PM on Apr. 12, 2013

• I am nothing but pleasant to them in person and via e-mail. When they do their bitching and nitpicking, I promptly reply with my deepest (and possibly somewhat sarcastic) apologies.
    maecntpntz219

Comment by maecntpntz219 (original poster) at 12:50 PM on Apr. 12, 2013

• awww, those poor people. how miserable must they be in their personal lives that they have to go after you on the job site.

i am being serious. it has been my experience that people like that have crappy relationships and no control in their relationships that they take it out on others.

you could make them a "special" cake like in "the help". no, no you can't- but the thought of it may help you smile a little bit :)
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 12:55 PM on Apr. 12, 2013

• Are they jealous for you? I mean, did you get a promotion that they wanted? I worked in a very cut throat field at one time and it was very hard for me to be around ppl esp women who are the WORST ever to work with anyways maybe invite them out to lunch and ask them what the hell is their problem? Otherwise, you are going to make your self go nuts and leave the impression w/your boss that you are a whiner and that you don't want....GL
    CharlotteRose

Answer by CharlotteRose at 12:57 PM on Apr. 12, 2013

• People like that are so insecure that they have to target their frustrations with themselves, at another person, in order to feel like they are competent... It is hugely aggravating. In my experience, NannyB is pretty correct in her response. Just be ultra confident in your dealings with them. When they send an email about some stupid typo, just respond with "THANK YOU soooo much for catching that!!! I can't believe I missed it. Soooo glad you have my back!!!!" Then go on with your day like it's just another really happy day in the neighborhood. They'll get bored and go away soon.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 1:02 PM on Apr. 12, 2013

• Hahaha feral I WISH!!
    maecntpntz219

Comment by maecntpntz219 (original poster) at 1:09 PM on Apr. 12, 2013

• People like that dig their own graves. Eventually they will be the ones to answer for their actions. I worked with a girl like that years ago. She tried everything to get me in trouble. I just totally ignored her. Then I was offered a new job in a better office where I worked. She ambushed me in the bathroom & told me not to take the job. I just walked past her. Then they gave a test because we were all provisional employees & she failed & got fired. I continued to work there for 13 years! So time will take care of this for you. If you like your job then just do your best & continue to be nice to everyone but just ignore THEM. They'll be gone sooner than later!

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:11 PM on Apr. 12, 2013

• Thing is, one of them is the "talent" of the company. She makes a TON of money and has been around forever (Her husband is her partner for their show and he's always been cool as hell!). She's always been a diva, which is to be expected to an extent because of her position and role here, but it wasn't until her "assistant" (the other one - and the worse one) was hired about a year ago that things started to blow up. And in the past few months there's been nothing but drama, stemming from them. Really, neither of them have no reason to be "jealous" of me but I do believe that a lot of it comes from my refusal to kiss their ass and let them make me feel inferior to them. I know my place and my job is to basically tie up their loose ends (if that makes sense) but I don't let them "boss" me around. And this new chick, their "assistant" hasn't earned her respect AT ALL around here yet but she comes in acting (cont)
    maecntpntz219

Comment by maecntpntz219 (original poster) at 1:14 PM on Apr. 12, 2013

• like she's the shit when in reality NOBODY here has any respect for her, except for the "other" one.
    maecntpntz219

Comment by maecntpntz219 (original poster) at 1:15 PM on Apr. 12, 2013