My 6 yr old doens't ever want to stick with anything. We make her finish the yr/ season then let her try something else. My husband wants to put her in an additional sport but she doesn't want to. I don't think we should make her. Opinions?

She's in gymnastics now, has been for 1 yr. She's always loved it. This morning she told me she doesn't want to continue over the summer. Her younger sister just said that the other day and I don't know if she's just copying her or if she just wants to stop at yet another sport. She's already been through soccer, dance, and karate.

mamamia827

Asked by mamamia827 at 1:34 PM on Apr. 12, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would let her quit and we wouldn't start anything else for a while. I think that most young children need to just be a child and do what they feel like doing at the moment. There is a lifetime of having to be somewhere at a certain time and having to do all kinds of things. I believe childhood just be a time of great freedom and experiencing a whole lot of different things.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:37 PM on Apr. 12, 2013

• I don't understand why your husband would want to put your daughter in another sport she doesn't wish to pursue. Kids sometimes have to try a lot of things before they find their passions. Maybe she'll come back to gymnastics. Or maybe Girl Scouts would be more her thing, or art classes, piano, who knows?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:39 PM on Apr. 12, 2013

• if she wants to quit a sport let her quit. im with you on not letting her quit in the middle of the season, but if she wants to be done when its over, why not? if you push her to do something when she doesnt want to, all she will do is hate it.

why does she need to pick one sport? whats wrong with just getting exercise and socializing? she's 6...let her be 6.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:42 PM on Apr. 12, 2013

• i agree, maybe she just needs some unwinding time. maybe she just want a summer off to have fun. sleep in late, go to the park have picnics and not have to worry about a schedule. she may just pick it back up when school starts.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 1:43 PM on Apr. 12, 2013

• He wants her to do something else, because she has a lot of energy, but she always wants us there with her. She hardly ever wants to go outside and play by herself or with her sister. She has a tree house, trampoline, a big swing set, and a big yard. Sometimes we just have other things to do and can't occupy her all of the time. She said the only reason she wanted to leave gymnastics is to spend more time at home! We are always at home! Together! I just don't understand it. At home she just wants to watch T.V., which we don't allow a lot of. Then with her energy, she will act really silly and sometimes yell out random things or things she is saying when she is trying to play with us or her sister. I know it is normal child behavior to be silly and want attention but it's to the point of being annoying. She is only in gymnastics for 1 hr/ wk, so it's not a lot of time. She is excited about starting piano soon. We both work.
    mamamia827

Comment by mamamia827 (original poster) at 2:06 PM on Apr. 12, 2013

• I would let her be a kid.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 2:06 PM on Apr. 12, 2013

• When she finds something she truly enjoys, she'll stick with it. Just see what else she will like, they cant like everything or be good at everything, she'll find it, have you tried swimming or skating? Those are fun, and I believe everyone should learn to swim.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 8:11 PM on Apr. 13, 2013