How should i have answered this question?

ok, my friends' daughter has an 18m. here's the problem. she asked me how i potty trained my girls. well i didn't do it the normal way. in fact alot of people disagree with the way i did it. but i'm going to tell you why i did it then i'm going to tell you what i did:

the why: i had this neighbor who was trying to potty train her 2yo. she was used to the potty chair so when she got put on the real potty she went nuts.

what i did: when i met the neighbor we just had our oldest. at six months (when she could sit up by herself) i would put her on the toilet, (i used the insert) while waiting for her bath to fill up. some times she went but most of the time she just sat there playing with the rubber ducky i gave her. i was not potty training her, i was getting her used to the toilet. she didn't get potty trained until she was between 2 and 3.

and that's what i told my friend, and now her daughter thinks differently of me. so now i'm going to ask everyone here her question: how to potty train an 18m?

noel1978

Asked by noel1978 at 2:03 PM on Apr. 12, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Potty training varies so much from child to child. I waited until my daughter showed a real interest, which was the day after she turned 2. She only used the potty chair a few times, preferring to go like a big kid.

Some parents have a lot of luck with incentives, like sticker charts.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 2:11 PM on Apr. 12, 2013

• 18 months is a lot young to potty train.

We started potty training my son at 2, and with a lot of difficulty and regressions along the way, he was potty trained at 4-4.5. My daughter potty trained in a week at 3 years old.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 2:07 PM on Apr. 12, 2013

• I don't think you did anything wrong, as long as the child was safe from falling. You weren't expecting her to use the toilet. You were just getting her accustomed to it. As for potty training kids that young, I think it's crazy. I didn't push the issue with my daughter. It wasn't worth the fight. When she was three and a half and tired of diapers, she pretty much trained herself in ten days with the help of one bag of M&M's.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:09 PM on Apr. 12, 2013

• You don't they are too young to be able to control their functions and to recognize what is happening before it happens.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:13 PM on Apr. 12, 2013

• like i said, after my neighbors' daughter nearly had the arby's deaf from screaming i just wanted the girls to get used to the toilet.
    they were potty trained in time to go to head start that's all i really remember. the older two were between 2 and 3 and my youngest was between 3 and 4.
    noel1978

Comment by noel1978 (original poster) at 2:25 PM on Apr. 12, 2013

• I don't know why she is opposed to having the child get used to the toilet, IMHO 18 months is too young to start real "potty" training. I never used a potty chair, just the thing for the top of the toilet, when they were about 18 months sometimes I would sit them on it and if anything happened I would make a huge deal of it, but didn't really go for the "training" aspect until about 2 1/2 they were done in less than a week.
    I think you answered it just fine.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 3:31 PM on Apr. 12, 2013

• i don't think what you did was wrong, thats kind of a good idea:)
    firsttimemom733

Answer by firsttimemom733 at 12:57 AM on Apr. 13, 2013

• I didn't start putting her on it at that young, but I bought our daughter a potty chair right after she turned 1. We started sitting her on it as soon as she got it, with her diaper on. Around 18 months we tried with her diaper off for a bit, but she wasn't ready. We just started again at 2.5 getting her on the big potty with no diaper. She still isn't potty trained, but she is progressing.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 7:57 AM on Apr. 13, 2013