Camera for 1st Grade Field Trip

The three 1st grade classes in DD's school are going on a field trip in a couple of weeks to an old-time village place where they get to see how the pioneers lived. Sucky thing is they are not allowing parental chaperones...but I would love to still get pictures so I can add this trip to DD's blog that I have had since she was a baby (3,000+ posts and still going). So I am planning on sending her with a camera so she can take pictures of whatever she wants (already called school and it was okay'ed, but obviously they would not be responsible if lost/stolen). But not sure best to do...

Let her take an old digital camera we never use anymore
Buy her a cheap digital camera of her own
Buy her a disposable camera or two

She has a V-Tech kid's camera that I would be okay with it being lost, but it takes crappy pictures. And she has a Galaxy Player (basically Android's iPod) that takes decent pictures, but would NOT be okay if that turned up missing.

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 2:17 PM on Apr. 12, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I have seen some of the best pictures out of those inexpensive disposable cameras. That's the route I would go.

Answer by missanc at 2:19 PM on Apr. 12, 2013

• ** The only thing I really worry about with a disposable camera is that she will take all the pictures it has on the bus before she even gets there. **
    AllAboutKeeley

Comment by AllAboutKeeley (original poster) at 2:34 PM on Apr. 12, 2013

• i would do either the old camera or buy a disposable one. because we don't have one, i would do the disposable one. if you get it at walgreens they will develop it for free. and it's free film for life of the camera. they give you a new roll when they take the old one out.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 2:34 PM on Apr. 12, 2013

• I've had great luck with the disposable cameras. They take nice pictures, but I would suggest having your daughter snap two of each shot if she can because sometimes one will come out blank.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:44 PM on Apr. 12, 2013

• The only thing I really worry about with a disposable camera is that she will take all the pictures it has on the bus before she even gets there.

Good point. Could you give the disposable camera to the teacher and have her pass it to your daughter only after their arrival?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:46 PM on Apr. 12, 2013

• Personally I would go with the disposable camera.
    Did the school say why parental chaparones are not needed?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:55 PM on Apr. 12, 2013

• Maybe you could get her a cheap digital? My mom has one that was really cheap but it takes pictures that would be good enough for this purpose.

How unreliable is your daughter? When my kids were in public school, I found that theft wasn't so much the concern, as just my kid being forgetful and leaving stuff somewhere. I never heard of anyone stealing someone's camera on their field trip, it was usually that so and so forgot it. If she's usually pretty reliable, I wouldn't worry too much about her losing it, and let her take a decent camera. But if she tends to be forgetful, send one you're okay with losing - but keep in mind, too, that if she's excited about the photos, she'll be less likely to forget it, too.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 2:55 PM on Apr. 12, 2013

• I'd go with the old digital if it's a small one, and use some sort of lanyard or something so she can keep it around her neck.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 4:28 PM on Apr. 12, 2013