Ok i have to post this or i'm going to go crazy from worrying to much

ok i live in elkhart county, ind, and i was watching the news (something i don't normally do!) and they had a a news article that i'm not to sure about. they had the local police department for elkhart and st. joe counties in ind had gotten an anonymous tip that 5 schools and a total of 20 students were going to get shot out of the two counties. the cops aren't saying what schools, (the lady said they had a list telling which 5 schools and the names of the 20 students) or the names of the students and they refuse to talk to the media. it's suppose to happen mon. i know one mom who is keeping her kids home and the crossing guard told me that she spoke to a bunch of others who aren't going either.
i spoke to the school and they told me that there was going to be cops everywhere for the rest of the school year. that they have been locking down the schools for the past two weeks. the news lady said that it was going to be the high schools that get hit.

my oldest (who is in 5th) said her classmate said that it's all over facebook and that their school is on that list. i called the school to let them know what was going around and that's when they told me about the extra cops that's been hanging around the schools.

my question: do you think it's a hoax? (hubby does) would you send your kids to school after talking to the school? or would you just keep them home?

i would want to keep them home, but i have a bunch of appointments i have to go to and we have to walk. what if the person drives by and sees the girls with me and just starts shooting at us instead of the school?

plus if you can find anything about this please let me know. because they haven't aired anything about this for the past three days and i can't find it.

noel1978

Asked by noel1978 at 2:22 PM on Apr. 12, 2013 in Parenting Debate

• It most likely is a hoax, but I'd be nervous as hell about it too. I probably wouldn't send my kids to school on Monday, but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen Tuesday, Wednesday, or anything other day. Unless you plan to keep your kids home forever, not much you can do except trust that the cops are doing everything they possibly can.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 2:33 PM on Apr. 12, 2013

• I am not trying to negate your fears, but I am sure that the parents of the names on the list (assuming, of course, that it's not simply a hoax) have been informed that their child's name is on it. So, if you haven't been notified by police, you can at least rest easy that your child wouldn't be a target - not that that would keep her safe, necessarily, but at least you know no one would be specifically looking for her.

With that said, I completely understand how you're feeling, and I would probably keep my kids home if I were in your shoes. I doubt anyone would target you walking to your appointments, as someone else mentioned, someone doing something like this is looking for attention - and as tragic as you and your children being harmed would be, it wouldn't get them the attention they want. I would just keep the kids home, go to your appointments, and try to make the day a fun day to keep their minds off it.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 2:50 PM on Apr. 12, 2013

• The last day of school before Xmas break, tons of parents kept their kids home. I kept my kids home. There were dozens of threats against Clark County schools, and I don't care what people think of me. I care about my kids' safety.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:47 PM on Apr. 12, 2013

• If it were me, I wouldn't send them to school. Not just because of a potential threat that day, but because if a lot of kids are gone, then nothing is going to get done, and I just wouldn't want my kids involved in such a day in any way. And if you walk to your appts with them, it really should be ok. a bunch of nutjobs who are talking of messing up several schools aren't going to target two kids and a mom. They want a much bigger bang for their buck, so to speak. They want helicopters, the governor, CNN, etc to be on the scene after their last hurrah... Sad and sick, but true.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 2:34 PM on Apr. 12, 2013

• It would scare me, too, maybe enough to keep the kids home. What a sad, sick world!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:41 PM on Apr. 12, 2013

• Hoax or not, I would be picking my kid up today and she wouldn't go back until either they caught whoever for the threats or the week was out (just because it didn't happen Monday, doesn't mean they aren't just holding off another day...). I'd drag them to the appointments with me.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 2:54 PM on Apr. 12, 2013

• I would assume they have a good idea of who started this, and most likely before Monday comes, they will be in custody, I don't think I would make a deal of keeping them home on Monday, just say you decided that you wanted to give them a treat, but I imagine you will hear that the culprit has been found.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 3:35 PM on Apr. 12, 2013

• I would keep them home.
    ladybugmamax2

Answer by ladybugmamax2 at 6:15 PM on Apr. 12, 2013

• yeah, i agree with both of you. their dad said to send them. he feels they will be safer at school. he says they just want to scare us and because it's gym for two of the girls and library for the other (that's their favorites) they want to go to school! the school the girls attend is in the middle of a small town and their police station / fire station is right across the street. theres supposed to be cops with k-9 units walking the town, cops on bikes, in cruisers and on foot. there's only two roads that go in and out of this town. and the state police are covering them too. there's going to cops at the bus stops too. i'm not sure but there might be one on the bus too. or following it. i'll ask the driver when i go and get the girls today.
    noel1978

Comment by noel1978 (original poster) at 2:51 PM on Apr. 12, 2013

• @ wendy, that's what the news lady said. if the school and or cops haven't sent you a notice then you don't have to worry too much. but i just can't stop thinking about it.
    noel1978

Comment by noel1978 (original poster) at 2:52 PM on Apr. 12, 2013