Why am I getting sick so much?

I used to get sick maybe once or twice a year. When my daughter started preschool in the fall of 2011, my doctor said she was dragging home germs and soon I'd build up immunity and not catch everything she wandered in with. But I still seem to be coming down with crap all the time now. I had the flu in January, and since then I'm on my third bout with sinus trouble. I take a daily multivitamin and use Umca every time I feel something trying to grab me. Is it just going to be this way till my daughter takes off for college? I'm so tired of it!

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 3:11 PM on Apr. 12, 2013 in Health

• 1. Ensure good oral health. Oral health is closely linked to general health. Brush & rinse at least 3 times a day.

2. Ensure your home's air filters are replaced regularly. 

3. Pesticides in and outside of the home can cause allergies, especially when it travels by air into your home.

4. Take probiotics, antioxidants and a hot liquid every day, such as yogurt and green/jasmine tea.

5. Clean all doorknobs, rails and other frequently touched items at home including toys.

6. Ensure your children also get vitamins, antioxidants, etc. if they transmit germs.

7. Use an air purifier and humidfier for several hours a day.

8. Ensure you get adequate sleep.

hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 1:32 AM on Apr. 13, 2013

• Sinus issues could also be allergies. You can develop those with time. I never had them when I was younger and it started with the Santa Ana winds in CA in my 20's. Now I am allergic to all sorts of pollens so while I love spring, it's my worst allergy season.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 3:13 PM on Apr. 12, 2013

• Are you getting enough rest? Lack of proper rest lowers the body's immunities!!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:30 PM on Apr. 12, 2013

• Are you well hydrated? Overly stressed?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:20 PM on Apr. 12, 2013

• Try using a sinus rinse, like the neti pot. Would help with both allergies and keep infections away. Just make sure to use either boiled water(let cool obviously) or destilled water
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 4:12 PM on Apr. 12, 2013

• I know you have been stressed, that might be part of it, also she is passing on everything you haven't been exposed to, when my son started school, I got sick quite a bit, but now not so much, except for the horrible flu in January!
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 5:33 PM on Apr. 12, 2013

• Interesting. I never had much trouble with allergies as a kid beyond the occasional bout with hay fever, so I hadn't thought of that.

Hydrated, yes. Stressed, probably.
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 3:34 PM on Apr. 12, 2013