I bought the wrong type of steak. Oops.

I'm planning to make this tonight. Only, I bought skirt steak instead of strip and I don't have the sesame oil ( just going to use veggie oil, I guess).

I googled skirt steak and from what I found its very tough and should be marinated. This recipe calls for marinating no longer than an hour. I'm thinking he floors won't be too strong since I'm not using sesame oil therefore I can marinate it maybe 2 hours.

What do ya'll thnk?

Korean style steak:
3 tablespoons Ginger (finely grated)
3 tablespoons Brown Sugar
1/3 cup Soy Sauce
1 tablespoon minced Garlic
1 tablespoon Sesame Oil
2 teaspoons Sriracha (plus more for serving)
1/4 cup Olive Oil
4 1/3-inch thick slices Strip Steak

Combine the first 7 ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine. Add the beef and cover with plastic wrap. Let marinate for minimum a few minutes or up to one hour. Grill on high heat 4 min per side. Serve with limes, cilantro and sriracha

PandaGwen

Asked by PandaGwen at 3:34 PM on Apr. 12, 2013 in Food & Drink

• Put it in the marinade now (my time that would give it 3 1/2 hours of marinating if you start cooking at 5) and don't cook it Well done, a little pink will keep it from getting as tough. Don't forget to cut against the grain

cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 3:39 PM on Apr. 12, 2013

• Skirt and Flank I think are the same thing so check this out too

cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 3:41 PM on Apr. 12, 2013

• Skirt steak is also very thin. Make sure you adjust the grilling time. You also want to slice skirt steak on an angle That will help with the toughness.
    KPBMom

Answer by KPBMom at 3:43 PM on Apr. 12, 2013

• If you have any meat tenderizer powder, you might could add that into the marinade.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:49 PM on Apr. 12, 2013

• I think it'll be fine marinated longer, just (as mentioned above) cook it like a skirt steak (cooked whole, then sliced against the grain AFTER cooking).
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 3:59 PM on Apr. 12, 2013

• Ive got in in the marinade now. It's a strange piece of meat. It had a nasty membrane on it that I removed. Crossing fingers this turns out.
    PandaGwen

Comment by PandaGwen (original poster) at 4:32 PM on Apr. 12, 2013