My lab had puppies last week. She has been panting heavily and loudly for about a month now. It's constant. Is there something wrong with her?

She has always been very active but not a heavy panter. This is something she started since she became pregnant and started really showing.

Drews8

Asked by Drews8 at 5:51 PM on Apr. 12, 2013 in Pets

• I would guess it has to do with being exhausted by her babies. Make sure you are offering her clean fresh water.

Did you ask the vet if this is normal?
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:00 PM on Apr. 12, 2013

• How many did she have? How many was she supposed to have? ... or did you not bother with prenatal care? Believe it or not there is a TON of things that can go wrong...
    Anonymous

• Has she been to the vet? Did they do an xray to make sure she could handle giving birth to the puppies? Have you called since she gave birth? Is she acting normal otherwise??
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:03 PM on Apr. 12, 2013

• My Dog did that & we were told by the Vet that she had an enlarged heart. She lived to be 12.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 6:13 PM on Apr. 12, 2013

• If you have to ask here then that means you have not bothered with any kind of care for your dog- which tells me you are a back yard breeder contributing to the over population of dogs. 'I wanted my kids to experience it.' and 'I didn't have the money to get her spayed.' are lousy excuses. If your dog is not in serious danger from a birth with no previous care then for pete's sake spay her before she more puppies. If you can't afford it then find a low cost program there are a lot of them out there. If you still can't afford it then you don't need a dog.
    Anonymous

• Vet visit, and now, she may have a pup inside her.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 6:22 PM on Apr. 12, 2013

• I was thinking the same thing,jersey. Retained fetus

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:26 PM on Apr. 12, 2013

• Mom and pups should go to the vet about this time anyway. IMO she needs to go in irst think tomorrow morning. I was a breeder for a short while and there are too many things this could be, from an excessive amount of puppies to retained "afterbirth"
    Make sure that she has more than enough water. Nursing requires a lot more water than normal. This is not normal behaviour a full week after delivery.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:59 AM on Apr. 13, 2013

• OK. Please tell me this is the first dog you have ever had and you don't know what you are doing and I might forgive your lack of care. Your dog's health and safety is entirely in your hands, just like your children. Get that dog to the vet immediately!!!! Panting is a sign of distress when it is constant, and especially after having puppies. Next time, call the vet right away and tell them the symptoms. They will tell you if it is urgent or not.
    WiseOlderMom

Answer by WiseOlderMom at 11:15 PM on Apr. 20, 2013