Where do I start complaining about this one?

I've been car shopping for months. I have been going to several different places as well as looking online. The 1st place I stopped at wanted to get me pre-approved before looking at any vehicle. So, I carefully filled in all of their paperwork. They came back and gave me the song and dance about it being Saturday and the banks being closed. While I was waiting, we looked at a couple vehicles and let the dealership know which ones I was interested in. The chick at the dealership called me the next day and said that I was pre-approved for a dodge. Um, I was NOT interested and let her know that.

Today I got a letter in the mail from 1 of the banks that the dealership tried to get me a loan thru. It was a counter offer. I was just going to toss it in the garbage when I noticed the name on the letter was my married name. I've been divorced for over 2 yrs and using my maiden name.

Whose head do I bite off 1st?

tempsingl3mom

Asked by tempsingl3mom at 7:17 PM on Apr. 12, 2013 in Money & Work

• I've been divorced for almost 10 years, and I STILL get crap in my married name. It's not that big a deal, they just pulled an old file or didn't pay enough attention or whatever. I wouldn't get too bent out of shape over it.

In fact, I've just, in the few years, gotten to where I don't pay attention to them at all, I just trash them. I figure if they can't be bothered to find out my current name, then whatever it is can't be all that important and therefore, I can't be bothered to read whatever they sent me. :D
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:33 PM on Apr. 12, 2013

• If you're seriously looking for a car, get your own loan through a credit union. Don't go through the dealership. It will save you loads of money and headache.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:02 AM on Apr. 13, 2013

• I agree with above poster. This is from your credit report. It will go back to approximately 10 yars and will referrence in your maiden and any married names. It is no big deal.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:16 AM on Apr. 13, 2013

• Not sure why you are so angry. They obviously pulled a credit file that had your married name on it. Mistakes happen. Just throw the paper away and go on.
    Anonymous

• I learn something new every day. I just thought the dealership was trying to pull something. Thanks for all the responses.
    I tried going thru a credit union and was denied. Thanks to my ex-husband, my credit is actually negative. My score is 0 and there are negatives on it.
    But, I did find a dealership that was able to finance me and I have a new (new to me anyway) car.
    tempsingl3mom

Comment by tempsingl3mom (original poster) at 8:14 PM on Apr. 13, 2013