Mom, it's a magic machine!

My boyfriend and I took our five-year-old daughter out to eat with another couple last night. We stopped so the woman could withdraw money from an ATM. My daughter watched very intently.

Then she gleefully said, "Mom, it's a magic machine! I guess you didn't know about it, huh? You just push buttons and money comes out. So now since Miss Patty showed us, we can get money and go to restaurants all the time, and you can buy me the Glow Pet I want and we can move into a bigger house."

Her troubles were over!

I got to thinking about how many adults seem to still view ATM machines the same way.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 3:10 AM on Apr. 13, 2013 in Money & Work

• My son wanted something, a toy perhaps and my husband said no we don't have the money right now. Torren(ds) told him "yeah you do, you could use the Tax refund!" My son is five as well. He heard us talking about the refund. Before that he wanted candy and I told him no I didn't have any cash, "that's ok you can use your cards"(he now gets that you have to have money in the bank for the cards to work lol).

He also asked since he was the reason we got so much of a refund(hubby said it in passing to someone while Torren was around) if he could have some of the money. lol

Don't think he has ever seen us use an ATM, we don't do it often lol
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 9:25 PM on Apr. 13, 2013

• Adults no- well, maybe some adult children still living at home! lol :p Some of them seem mom & dad are ATM machines! :p I find it funny that my dau still doesn't get that using the credit card isn't free! I gotta teach that girl a lesson in economics before she gets older. lol :p

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:27 AM on Apr. 13, 2013

• My husband is anti technology and has never used and has no intentions of ever using one of those.....it scares him....he has frozen in time....

Answer by older at 9:10 AM on Apr. 13, 2013

• For me, it's not an ATM machine, it's my husband. Sometimes the machine malfunctions and nothing comes out of his wallet, but other times, if I push the right buttons, I do get a few prizes. LOL
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 9:20 PM on Apr. 13, 2013

• My boyfriend and I don't typically use them, so my daughter hadn't seen money come out of a machine before, I guess. I'd rather use my credit card and then pay out one check at the first of each month.
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 12:49 PM on Apr. 13, 2013

• My daughter has seen her dad and me use credit cards, and she hasn't quite put it together that work equals plastic money.
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 9:29 PM on Apr. 13, 2013