How old was your DD when she started her period?

My DD is 9 1/2 and started her period Sunday...she has NO other signs of puberty! Did your DD have any signs ie body hair, breasts? How old was/is she?

PennyMom

Asked by PennyMom at 9:05 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Kids' Health

• no need to answer this but did you start your period young too? They say it generally runs in your family. I know my daughter started showing signs of it around 10. Every month she's get mood and have PMS but no period until she was almost 12. I started aroound 12 too. She never told us she started but I knew. My husband and I were in another room and she stared crying and saying why are you all looking at me? I said we can't even see you well she stopmed upstairs and I confronted her. LOL.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:06 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• She was 12yrs and was developing in all ways more than her friends who hadn't started they're period
    Anonymous

• I think I would talk to her pediatrician about it. While a girl CAN start her period at that age... to have no earlier signs is weird.
    Usually there is breast development as the first sign, then pubic hair.. often a large growth spurt (girls usually have to weigh over 100 lbs to start their period) and then they get their period.
    I think it is strange that she didn't follow this pattern and she should be checked out.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:51 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I took her to the dr today...she said it is perfectly normal but definitely early....and that all seemed well..I made sure to do that ASAP.

PennyMom

Answer by PennyMom at 10:00 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Mine was 11 but she is special needs child also. Just go with the flow ( no pun intended). Things just happen and it you feel better ask her Dr.
    robinann

Answer by robinann at 10:26 PM on Feb. 16, 2009