Roller skating?

when is the last time you were on skates?
have your kids ever ROLLER skated?

... my kids are 2nd and 1st grade and have never been on skates. Looking to change that I found an AWESOME "retro" skating rink with music, etc about 45 minutes from us. Gonna make a day trip asap

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 11:27 AM on Apr. 13, 2013 in Entertainment

• My oldest, 17, lived on roller blades for a while. There were days he never took them off. He played roller hockey and still plays ice hockey. My younger 2 have never been on them.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:36 AM on Apr. 13, 2013

• None of us ever did. But my DH & Son ice skate. Skating was part of my Son's Preschool curriculum! School was in the same building as an ice rink. He started at 4 skating.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:49 AM on Apr. 13, 2013

• My son went 2 years ago when his son did at fundraiser at the skating rink. I have not roller skated since I was a teen.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 11:56 AM on Apr. 13, 2013

• The last time I went was a couple years ago for a kid's birthday party. DS went then as well. He loved it. There aren't any rinks around here. I need to find one though.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 12:04 PM on Apr. 13, 2013

• Last time I was in roller skates was a long time ago. Can't even remember. Last time rollerblading was probably 8 or 9 years ago. Ice skating just recently. DD took ice skating lessons for a month. DS last tried rollerblading and roller skating on the same day probably about 3 years ago. He didn't like it. At all.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:03 PM on Apr. 13, 2013

• A few weeks ago. We love roller skating and I've started all my kids out on skates at 3 (of course, we had the wheels tightened so they barely rolled!). Saturday mornings here (and at most skating rinks?) are family skate times with the hokey pokey, chicken dance, etc. - lots of fun for little ones. Then Friday nights my 6th grader loves to go with her friends - they play all the top 40 tunes, have the strobe lights going, etc. A place they can "hang out" and I don't mind her going.
    One of the skate rinks around here opens up the first Tuesday of every month for all the special needs classes in the county, from preschool on up through high school. They don't do the crazy lights and they keep the music at a decent volume. My oldest's preschool autistic class went every month and he learned to love to skate.

Answer by missanc at 1:43 PM on Apr. 13, 2013

• I used to go skating a lot as a kid. The town was pretty rural back then, and the skating rink was the go-to place for kids and teens. The rink is still there, but I haven't been in ages or taken my daughter. Maybe we should go.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:32 PM on Apr. 13, 2013

• I went skating about 7 years ago.
    Through my teens and early 20's,my friends and i went skating anywhere between 2-5 times a week

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:06 PM on Apr. 13, 2013