i have a 2 year old and she can barely speak . some people tell me that its because me and my husband talk to her in spanish and english and she gets confused. is that true? if it is what can i do about it?

MOMMY10128

Asked by MOMMY10128 at 8:19 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i wouldn't believe it! unless you think she is having a hard time hearing (a hearing test may be in order), she just might not want or feel the need to talk. my son didn't say anything but a word or two until he was about three. he could communicate without words and was comfortable with that for awhile. he's four now and i couldn't get him to stop even i wanted too. in fact, when she does start talking i'm sure she'll be fluent in both languages and really surprise you.
    ibsqueen2004

Answer by ibsqueen2004 at 8:24 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Have her examined by a Dr just to make sure she is hearing fine and there are no medical issues. A bilingual household is not usually a problem. In fact the child will usually learn both languages.
    Eliza34

Answer by Eliza34 at 8:25 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I agree with Eliza34. Everything I've read indicates that a baby hearing two languages grows up knowing the difference.
    LiaC

Answer by LiaC at 8:31 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• IF YOU ARE LIVING IN AMERICA AND CHOOSE TO BE AMERICANS, SPEAK ENGLISH. I AM NOT PREDJUDICE OR RACIST AT ALL, MY HUB IS FILIPINO, BUT I DONT UNDERSTAND WHY EVERYONE COMES TO AMERICA WANTING TO BE "AMERICANS" BUT NEVER WANTS TO SPEAK OUR LANGUAGE. WHEN YOUR DAUGHTER GETS OLDER AND CHOOSES TO LEARN SPANISH AS WELL, THEN TEACH HER.
    Anonymous

• WOW! That last answer was harsh! NO WAY... if you want to teach her both then that is great! I do believe that we shouldn't have to press 1 for english but that has nothing to do with this question! She is out in left field and just wants to argue her arguement wherever the word spanish comes up.
    My son is half mexican. No, his father is not from Mexico.. he is as Mexican as i am Italian... several generations back. It is my ex husbands culture and he wants to share it with his son. he does not expect him to use spanish in kindergarten or anything.. just wants him to learn it as a child because it is when they are more eager to learn. Anyhoo...
    Babies who speak two languages usually start to talk a little later than others. however.. his/her thought process is a lot different than a child who only speaks one language. You child will be more advanced in spatial tasks and other cognitive skills. Kudos to you! Keep up the good work!
    pipandmijosmom

Answer by pipandmijosmom at 9:47 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• a two year old should be talking but using two languages isn't the problem. I know several parents who have done this. first is she unable to speak or do you do the talking for her. I wouldhave her evaluated.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 10:36 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• WASN'T TRYING TO BE HARSH, I JUST FEEL SPANISH IS BECOMING THE PRIMARY LANGUAGE IN AMERICA AND IT'S NOT FAIR TO ALL THOSE WHO DON'T SPEAK IT. NOR DO I FEEL WE SHOULD HAVE TO LEARN IT EITHER, INCLUDING OTHER LANGUAGES, BUT I GUESS I DID OFF TRACK FROM THE ACTUAL QUESTION AND I APOLOGIZE. IT MAY BE THE BOTH LANGUAGES, I'D SAY WAIT A BIT TO TEACH HER THE SPANISH UNTIL SHE IS GOOD AT THE ENGLISH OR VICE VERSA. I GUESS WHATEVER LANGUAGE YOU WOULD LIKE FOR HER TO LEARN 1ST. IF YOU HAVE OTHER CHILDREN AND IT WASN'T AN ISSUE FOR THEM, MAYBE HAVE HER CHECKED BY THE DOC. SOME KIDS LEARN QUICKER THAN OTHERS. AGAIN I APOLOGIZE.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• well i have an 15 months african-american-mexican and she talks a lot she understand both languages and she nows both languages words since my family doesnt speak english and my in-laws doesnt speak spanish so i want her to speak both languages as well
    shantee32

Answer by shantee32 at 12:47 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Well I am American I speak English, Spanish, and a little Urdo and Punjabi. My husband speaks, Urdo, Punjabi, English, Japenese and Arabic also Hindi!!! We speak English and Urdo to our children my daughter is 2 yrs 5months and our son is 13 months. Our daughter speaks English to us and some Urdo words when speaking to my inlaws. I think it is more than just confusion. maybe! But, I have heard also that you should speak just one language to a child til a certain age. But EH who knows lol!! good luck sweetie!! I would talk to my pedi about a speech doctor and a hearing test! and ignore the pp, no need for rudeness!
    1boy1girl4me

Answer by 1boy1girl4me at 12:57 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Thisis America!!! If anyone forgot that this country belonged to the Indians and then a bunch of Europeans(whites) came and took it over! So anyone can speak whatever language they want to! Also they can teach their children to be bi or tri-lingual! I think that's awesome!!!
    Back to the question!
    I don't think that's a problem. I likes some of the other ladies suggestions. Maybe she's just not ready to talk yet. Right now is the best time to be teaching her spanish & english. At this age they learn a lot easier and faster. It's much harder for an adult to learn a 2nd language than it is for a child. Their minds are sponges. I'm sure you've heard that one! Good Luck!
    vano0528

Answer by vano0528 at 11:39 AM on Jun. 20, 2008