Is living close to a high school good or bad for property values?

Just read that the school district has finalized plans to build a new high school a few blocks from our house. I'm wondering what (if anything) this will do to our property values. Normally I would think this would be a selling point (for elementary and middle schools particularly), but high school students drive and have early band practice outside. Does the proximity of a high school effect the price at all?

FTR, we aren't settled into this house and it wouldn't be a heart breaking decision to sell, but we are at the point of deciding if we want to make improvements (outdoor kitchen and covered patio) or sell and buy something that already has what we want (if by some miracle we could find something like that).

QuinnMae

Asked by QuinnMae at 6:51 PM on Apr. 13, 2013 in Home & Garden

• We're within a 3 mile radius of an elementary, middle and high school. The homes sale fast here once you put it on the market and they always sale for what the buyer is asking for.
    I've never had problems with the schools or the kids, actually it's fun to watch the kids grow up. :)
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 7:10 PM on Apr. 13, 2013

• I would say it depends on how close. Growing up I was about half a mile from the high school. It was a great selling point when my parents sold the house. However, when my husband and I looked for homes, one was practically in the school's backyard. You couldn't see the school, but you could hear the football games going on at night.

I would think if you are so close that you can hear what is going on, that will not help the value.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:24 PM on Apr. 13, 2013

• I assume you have a good district? I don't think it will hurt you property value!
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 6:53 PM on Apr. 13, 2013

• feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 6:58 PM on Apr. 13, 2013

• It depends on who you ask.,.if a buyer has children then this is good to ask a higher price, but if they don't most people do not like being to close to the noise and kids around...

Answer by older at 7:35 PM on Apr. 13, 2013

• My husband and I had a very hard time selling our last home because it was four blocks from a high school. Very nice school but our mailbox always had trash in it the kids would steal mail and other items. The traffic was a bit hectic and at school release time it was dangerous for kids to be outside since many of the teen drivers were simply not ready to be driving. We could hear the band and sports teams early morning practices if we had the windows open. I personally wouldn't buy a home near a high school again. We lived in a very nice area and the school was a very nice high school but there are always some kids who make all the others look bad.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:15 AM on May. 7, 2013

• Yeah, it's a good district. There is also a lot of new construction around us right now so that would just be more for us to compete with if we did choose to sell (although we could still sell for less than new are listing for and be alright).

On the positive side of things, my next door neighbor on the left side of my house just listed their house. I do not particularly like these people. I've never met them (we've been here 2 years), but they throw cigarette butts over the fence into my grass down one side of my house. It gets pretty dry here in NE TX, so of course I get super pissed when I see that. I throw them back, but it will be nice to not have to pick them up or even see them once they sell and move on.
    QuinnMae

Comment by QuinnMae (original poster) at 6:57 PM on Apr. 13, 2013

• I am thinking we have enough of a buffer between the school site and our house that we won't get much of the noise early in the morning. There are a couple of blocks between the site and our house. There are a crap ton of schools here though, so no home is really that far from one. Within about a mile and a half radius around my house we have 4 elementary schools and two middle schools. Now we will have a high school (well, in about a year and a half). I wouldn't mind moving, but we really don't know where we would go and I doubt we would get any deals since real estate isn't horrible where we are.
    QuinnMae

Comment by QuinnMae (original poster) at 7:25 PM on Apr. 13, 2013

• At least where I am, proximity to a high school is a big bonus and the more expensive homes here are nearer to the high schools.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:34 PM on Apr. 13, 2013

• Oh, we also have a Community College, lol
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 8:10 PM on Apr. 13, 2013