Is living close to a high school good or bad for property values?

Just read that the school district has finalized plans to build a new high school a few blocks from our house. I'm wondering what (if anything) this will do to our property values. Normally I would think this would be a selling point (for elementary and middle schools particularly), but high school students drive and have early band practice outside. Does the proximity of a high school effect the price at all?

FTR, we aren't settled into this house and it wouldn't be a heart breaking decision to sell, but we are at the point of deciding if we want to make improvements (outdoor kitchen and covered patio) or sell and buy something that already has what we want (if by some miracle we could find something like that).

QuinnMae

Asked by QuinnMae at 6:51 PM on Apr. 13, 2013 in Home & Garden

• We're within a 3 mile radius of an elementary, middle and high school. The homes sale fast here once you put it on the market and they always sale for what the buyer is asking for.
    I've never had problems with the schools or the kids, actually it's fun to watch the kids grow up. :)
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 7:10 PM on Apr. 13, 2013

• Thanks for that insight, anon. That sucks and I'm glad you were able to sell your house finally. We still haven't decided what we want to do, but we are considering our options.
    QuinnMae

Comment by QuinnMae (original poster) at 9:20 AM on May. 7, 2013

• My husband and I had a very hard time selling our last home because it was four blocks from a high school. Very nice school but our mailbox always had trash in it the kids would steal mail and other items. The traffic was a bit hectic and at school release time it was dangerous for kids to be outside since many of the teen drivers were simply not ready to be driving. We could hear the band and sports teams early morning practices if we had the windows open. I personally wouldn't buy a home near a high school again. We lived in a very nice area and the school was a very nice high school but there are always some kids who make all the others look bad.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:15 AM on May. 7, 2013

• I really think it's going to depend on where you live and individual buyers. I homeschool, so being near a school wouldn't be a priority for me, but for someone maybe who works and can't take their kid to and from school, being within walking distance would be a plus. An older retired couple probably wouldn't be too thrilled, but a young couple just starting a family or planning one might be super excited to get a place near a school.

To me, I would just figure out whether YOU want to live near the school. If you don't, then list it now and move, if you're able to.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:00 AM on Apr. 14, 2013

• check out house values near other schools and compare on Zillow.com
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 8:48 PM on Apr. 13, 2013

• It is very convenient for the kids to be able to get home quickly. I used to walk to school, remember that I'd forgotten something, rush home and get it, then be back in school before classes started. And if someone wants a job there- working in the cafeteria, subbing, it is easy to get there.

Answer by Bmat at 8:22 PM on Apr. 13, 2013

• Depends on how often you have to deal with all the traffic. And how crazy the teens at the HS will be driving (esp. AFTER school) There's a chance of added litter (not that all teens litter, but I've seen a lot of it near where we live) Personally, the thought of packing up & moving sounds like such a pain, but if you're up for it, then why not? :)

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:21 PM on Apr. 13, 2013

• Oh, we also have a Community College, lol
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 8:10 PM on Apr. 13, 2013

• It depends on who you ask.,.if a buyer has children then this is good to ask a higher price, but if they don't most people do not like being to close to the noise and kids around...

Answer by older at 7:35 PM on Apr. 13, 2013

• At least where I am, proximity to a high school is a big bonus and the more expensive homes here are nearer to the high schools.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:34 PM on Apr. 13, 2013