Is living close to a high school good or bad for property values?

Just read that the school district has finalized plans to build a new high school a few blocks from our house. I'm wondering what (if anything) this will do to our property values. Normally I would think this would be a selling point (for elementary and middle schools particularly), but high school students drive and have early band practice outside. Does the proximity of a high school effect the price at all?

FTR, we aren't settled into this house and it wouldn't be a heart breaking decision to sell, but we are at the point of deciding if we want to make improvements (outdoor kitchen and covered patio) or sell and buy something that already has what we want (if by some miracle we could find something like that).

QuinnMae

Asked by QuinnMae at 6:51 PM on Apr. 13, 2013 in Home & Garden

• Depends on how often you have to deal with all the traffic. And how crazy the teens at the HS will be driving (esp. AFTER school) There's a chance of added litter (not that all teens litter, but I've seen a lot of it near where we live) Personally, the thought of packing up & moving sounds like such a pain, but if you're up for it, then why not? :)

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:21 PM on Apr. 13, 2013

• It is very convenient for the kids to be able to get home quickly. I used to walk to school, remember that I'd forgotten something, rush home and get it, then be back in school before classes started. And if someone wants a job there- working in the cafeteria, subbing, it is easy to get there.

Answer by Bmat at 8:22 PM on Apr. 13, 2013

• check out house values near other schools and compare on Zillow.com
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 8:48 PM on Apr. 13, 2013

• I really think it's going to depend on where you live and individual buyers. I homeschool, so being near a school wouldn't be a priority for me, but for someone maybe who works and can't take their kid to and from school, being within walking distance would be a plus. An older retired couple probably wouldn't be too thrilled, but a young couple just starting a family or planning one might be super excited to get a place near a school.

To me, I would just figure out whether YOU want to live near the school. If you don't, then list it now and move, if you're able to.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:00 AM on Apr. 14, 2013

• Thanks for that insight, anon. That sucks and I'm glad you were able to sell your house finally. We still haven't decided what we want to do, but we are considering our options.
    QuinnMae

Comment by QuinnMae (original poster) at 9:20 AM on May. 7, 2013