My son is 16 weeks w terrible gas since week two. I eliminated soy, dairy, caffeine, spices, nuts, peanuts, chocolate, corn, from my diet. I eat organic. I had oversupply and I block feed to control it. going out of my mind. Now he is straining to poop. Its been two days, tomorrow will be the third. He gets very close and then screams and screams. He also has excema on his face and chest at times. I feel like a terrible mom. What can I do? What am I missing? Is this typical colic?

newmama47

Asked by newmama47 at 7:49 PM on Apr. 13, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You are NOT a bad mom. These things happen... I agree with all of the above, warm baths, bicycle movements, massage, check with doctor for options... I would suggest trying Mommys' Bliss, it helped my granddaughter when she was about the same age. Google " baby constipation". You should be able to access some helpful tips. :-)
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 12:13 AM on Apr. 14, 2013

• Call your doctor
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 7:52 PM on Apr. 13, 2013

• heating pad across the tummy. also three days isnt that unusual. they may go up to a week with no real issue.
    have you tried the colic pills/ liquid? LOVE that stuff. manna from heaven.
    perhaps boiled chicken and plain rice?
    then add new foods so you know for sure if it is your diet?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 7:53 PM on Apr. 13, 2013

• My second born had that (except for the excema). He would only dirty his diaper about once a week. He had issues for about 9 months before the screaming really decreased. We tried so many different things.

Since then I have done even more reading on the subject and there are two things we never tried, but I would definitely try if we had another child like him.

1. Chiropractor - find one who treats infants. Apparently an adjustment can often help a lot with colic
    2. Probiotics - there are some for infants or young children - many moms swear by the probiotics and said it ended the colic completely!!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:08 PM on Apr. 13, 2013

• Is his tummy rigid?
    you can try inserting a lubricated thermometer into his rectum to stimulate the stool

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:25 PM on Apr. 13, 2013

• This is why you have a pediatrician.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:15 PM on Apr. 13, 2013

• Tummy massage, and bicycle his legs. How long since you eliminated, and what was the last thing you eliminated? Dairy I know takes about five days to clear your breastmilk, then a few weeks to clear baby's system AFTER it has completely cleared your breastmilk.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 10:27 PM on Apr. 13, 2013

• It's normal for babies that age to go up to 10 days without pooping. Is it coming out hard and dry? If not, it's normal. Face rashes are also normal. You are doing nothing wrong. He's just a baby, he will be fine.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:46 PM on Apr. 13, 2013

• I am going to tell you, try a warm bath. If that doesn't work rectal thermometers are your friend. Take it from someone who has been there. My son has a dairy allergy, and even with drinking soy formula/soy milk he still gets terrible gas and has issues pooping. When he was younger the only thing that would get him to poop was sticking that thermometer up his bottom. When he finally would poop, it was huge hard chunks and then he would have explosive diarrhea once the hard chunks were out. I would call your doctor and see if simethicone drops are safe at that age, we still use them for our son and he is 15 months now.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 11:16 PM on Apr. 13, 2013

• I have talked to pediatrician and she seems unconcerned wtih all of it, as it does sound typical. Though, when you are in it, it is scary adn seems abnormal. I have bicycled, and all the rest except tummy massage because he squirms. I put his knees to chest for about twenty minutes this morning and he pooped, then moaned and grunted and tried to pooop again with no avail, so he is sleeping. thank you for your comments.
    newmama47

Comment by newmama47 (original poster) at 9:51 AM on Apr. 14, 2013