Our puppy has NO doggy manners, which makes other dogs hate her :(

We have a 6 month old pit bull puppy and she doesn't seem to get the fact that she can't just run up to random dogs and jump in their face expecting to play right away. My brother also has a pitbull puppy, but she's 4 months, and she seems to get the basic sniff eachothers butts thing. So whats wrong with my puppy?! Both mine and my brothers pups don't live with or really see other dogs too often so one is not more socialized than the other. How do you even teach doggy manners? Help please!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:28 PM on Apr. 13, 2013 in Pets

• obedience classes

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:29 PM on Apr. 13, 2013

• Have you thought about dog obedience training?
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:29 PM on Apr. 13, 2013

• Buy or check out a dog training book/video from the library or look some up on YouTube. You need to train her a little every day. The more you train her, the better. With her on a leash, say STAY and hold her back from other dogs, then give her a treat . You can have a friend/family member help you by walking up in front of her but still staying at a distance. She gets a treat when she stay closer to you. If she lunges forward, say NO and give no treat. Even when not in formal training time, if you see behavior you like, reward her. You teach the dog to associate their behavior with words and a consequence of treat or no treat. This requires you to always keep a bag of treats on you though. Stay consistent, and you should see an improvement in behavior. Consistency is extremely important.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 8:39 PM on Apr. 13, 2013

• Puppies are like children. You have to teach them things.

Answer by louise2 at 8:40 PM on Apr. 13, 2013

• Caesar Millan. Find his books and read them. He's a pit expert and his training system works wonders for all dogs
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 8:44 PM on Apr. 13, 2013

• Our lab could get pretty obnoxious when she was still a puppy. We took her to puppy kindergarten. Not only did we learn skills to help train her, she got to be around other dogs, which is important. Check with your local humane society for classes.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:44 PM on Apr. 13, 2013

• If you take her in public and she's on the leash, make her sit before she can greet another dog. That's what I had to do with my border collie, Tess. She was overly friendly with other dogs and got snapped at a lot. Her sister, Shadow, however, used to snap at other dogs that approached her and got too close. She's a good dog but she just doesn't like other dogs with no doggy manners. She also snaps if strange dogs get to close to my niece, daughter, or any other kid in my family. She is very protective of the kids.
    Cowgirl_Coyote

Answer by Cowgirl_Coyote at 4:46 AM on Apr. 14, 2013

• It just sounds like your puppy may have been taken from the mommy to soon so didnt get the proper manners from her. Training is the best way I have a American Pit Bull Terrier also shes 3 yrs old now started like that and now shes a angel. You can do it!
    LostInMyMind

Answer by LostInMyMind at 11:13 AM on Apr. 15, 2013

• You might want to look into a dog park or doggie daycare. This is something that is best taught by other dogs. Obedience training is important and will help but she will also learn from other dogs what is appropriate.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 6:59 PM on Apr. 15, 2013